GIBRALTAR’S Chief Minister Fabian Picardo has said he will ‘celebrate’ if the UK does not leave the EU.
“I would invite the mayor of La Linea and my friends from Gibraltar and La Linea to a great celebration,” he said during a visit to a college in the Spanish city.
Picardo told journalists at the event, he hoped ‘this moment of reflection, of pause, leads to no Brexit’.
He spoke to the Spanish students about the need for ‘close relations’ on both side of the frontier, during the period up to the extended Brexit deadline of October 31.
The Rock leader also warned the youngsters about the ‘dark days’ of the border closure issued by Fascist dictator General Franco in 1969.
A Government statement said Picardo: “Stressed the important role young people had to play for a brighter future in the area.”
The Chief Minister has previously been critical of a ‘hard Brexit’, as well as one that would see the UK crash out of the EU without a deal.
Bossano, now Minister of Economic Development, issued a stark warning that a coalition Government including far-right party Vox could spell trouble for the frontier.
In the 2016 EU referendum 96% of those who voted in Gibraltar chose to remain in the EU.
- ‘Greedy’ landowner sells expats’ animal refuge land near Costa del Sol meaning 800 animals could be killed - 20 Jul, 2019 @ 10:02
- OPINION: Is it any wonder racism flourishes in Spain, when a teacher of all people, feels she can call black men ‘monkeys’? - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 18:44
- SHOEDUNIT: Man cuffed in Spain’s Andalucia after hiding kilo of hash in trainers - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 14:58
- Spain’s FIRST boutique hotel with craft beer microbrewery opens on Costa del Sol - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 13:25
- Gibraltar Chief Minister Fabian Picardo meets Boris Johnson and Jeremy Hunt for Brexit and Iran crunch talks - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:49
- British cyclist Chris Froome awarded 2011 Vuelta a Espana after Spanish champion stripped of title over doping - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:08
- Ex-soldier shoots wife dead with rifle from terrace before killing himself outside ex-wife’s home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:22
- IS IT YOURS?: Police in Spain’s Andalucia search for owner of €400 found in hotel - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 11:44
- Over 1 million people in Spain sign petitions supporting euthanasia, to be put before Government on Friday - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 00:00
- Gibraltar Chief Minister Picardo meets outgoing UK Prime Minister Theresa May to discuss Iran crisis and Brexit - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 19:35