GIBRALTAR’S Chief Minister Fabian Picardo has said he will ‘celebrate’ if the UK does not leave the EU.
“I would invite the mayor of La Linea and my friends from Gibraltar and La Linea to a great celebration,” he said during a visit to a college in the Spanish city.
Picardo told journalists at the event, he hoped ‘this moment of reflection, of pause, leads to no Brexit’.
He spoke to the Spanish students about the need for ‘close relations’ on both side of the frontier, during the period up to the extended Brexit deadline of October 31.
The Rock leader also warned the youngsters about the ‘dark days’ of the border closure issued by Fascist dictator General Franco in 1969.
A Government statement said Picardo: “Stressed the important role young people had to play for a brighter future in the area.”
The Chief Minister has previously been critical of a ‘hard Brexit’, as well as one that would see the UK crash out of the EU without a deal.
Bossano, now Minister of Economic Development, issued a stark warning that a coalition Government including far-right party Vox could spell trouble for the frontier.
In the 2016 EU referendum 96% of those who voted in Gibraltar chose to remain in the EU.
- OPINION: Celebrities are pushing Mallorca’s positive image at the moment and the season has not even started - 26 May, 2019 @ 12:15
- Jet2 removes Costa del Sol beaches from its website after Olive Press probe into raw sewage pumped into sea - 25 May, 2019 @ 10:00
- Sea and air search launched for British diver and ex-soldier, 70, who vanished while diving in southern Spain - 24 May, 2019 @ 13:18
- British expat and dementia sufferer, 83, found dead on Spain’s Costa del Sol after four days missing - 24 May, 2019 @ 12:22
- GSD blasts Bet365’s Brexit move to shift Gibraltar operations to Malta as over 500 staff could be relocated - 24 May, 2019 @ 11:47
- Bet365 to relocate 1,000 staff from Gibraltar office to Malta in HUGE €70 million move over Brexit fears - 23 May, 2019 @ 17:53
- Largest ever cocaine haul made in Spain’s Sevilla as 1000 kilos of the drug smuggled in banana truck - 23 May, 2019 @ 16:03
- ‘HUMOUR HAS NO LIMITS’: Man in Spain defends his jokes about little Julen who died down well - 23 May, 2019 @ 12:37
- Spain’s Julio Iglesias is ‘willing’ to do DNA test to find out if Spanish lovechild is really his - 22 May, 2019 @ 18:18
- Police arrest 30 in Costa del Sol gigalo ring that lured young men with FAKE escort jobs, netting ringleaders €700,000 - 22 May, 2019 @ 15:33