RESIDENTS have called for road safety changes after a dramatic lorry crash this morning, which left the driver hospitalised.
A 25-year-old man was rushed to the Costa del Sol Hospital after the lorry he was driving smashed into the central reservation on the A-7 in La Cala de Mijas.
The accident took place 4:50am on a curve of the motorway heading towards Cadiz – an area known by local motorists as an accident blackspot.
The incident caused 11 kilometres of traffic to back up on the A-7, before traffic authorities removed the truck and reopened the left-hand lane.
Frequent users of this section of road claimed truck drivers often speed round the bend, while also calling for increased safety measures along the stretch.
One Facebook user wrote that ‘maybe lorries can only stay in inside lane’, while another suggested, ‘maybe send lorries on the toll roads and have them not pay’.
Some also called for traffic lights to be installed before the section of road where the accident took place.
It comes after a truck driver died in a crash on the same bend in December 2017 and another was involved in a serious accident in March 2018.
- Sea and air search launched for British diver and ex-soldier, 70, who vanished while diving in southern Spain - 24 May, 2019 @ 13:18
- British expat and dementia sufferer, 83, found dead on Spain’s Costa del Sol after four days missing - 24 May, 2019 @ 12:22
- GSD blasts Bet365’s Brexit move to shift Gibraltar operations to Malta as over 500 staff could be relocated - 24 May, 2019 @ 11:47
- Bet365 to relocate 1,000 staff from Gibraltar office to Malta in HUGE €70 million move over Brexit fears - 23 May, 2019 @ 17:53
- Largest ever cocaine haul made in Spain’s Sevilla as 1000 kilos of the drug smuggled in banana truck - 23 May, 2019 @ 16:03
- ‘HUMOUR HAS NO LIMITS’: Man in Spain defends his jokes about little Julen who died down well - 23 May, 2019 @ 12:37
- Spain’s Julio Iglesias is ‘willing’ to do DNA test to find out if Spanish lovechild is really his - 22 May, 2019 @ 18:18
- Police arrest 30 in Costa del Sol gigalo ring that lured young men with FAKE escort jobs, netting ringleaders €700,000 - 22 May, 2019 @ 15:33
- Sexism row in Spain as female squash champions handed sex toys as prizes - 22 May, 2019 @ 13:50
- Jamie Oliver’s empire goes into administration with 1,000 job losses just a week after new Costa del Sol restaurant - 21 May, 2019 @ 21:18