RESIDENTS have called for road safety changes after a dramatic lorry crash this morning, which left the driver hospitalised.
A 25-year-old man was rushed to the Costa del Sol Hospital after the lorry he was driving smashed into the central reservation on the A-7 in La Cala de Mijas.
The accident took place 4:50am on a curve of the motorway heading towards Cadiz – an area known by local motorists as an accident blackspot.
The incident caused 11 kilometres of traffic to back up on the A-7, before traffic authorities removed the truck and reopened the left-hand lane.
Frequent users of this section of road claimed truck drivers often speed round the bend, while also calling for increased safety measures along the stretch.
One Facebook user wrote that ‘maybe lorries can only stay in inside lane’, while another suggested, ‘maybe send lorries on the toll roads and have them not pay’.
Some also called for traffic lights to be installed before the section of road where the accident took place.
It comes after a truck driver died in a crash on the same bend in December 2017 and another was involved in a serious accident in March 2018.
- Gibraltar Chief Minister Fabian Picardo meets Boris Johnson and Jeremy Hunt for Brexit and Iran crunch talks - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:49
- British cyclist Chris Froome awarded 2011 Vuelta a Espana after Spanish champion stripped of title over doping - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:08
- Ex-soldier shoots wife dead with rifle from terrace before killing himself outside ex-wife’s home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:22
- IS IT YOURS?: Police in Spain’s Andalucia search for owner of €400 found in hotel - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 11:44
- Over 1 million people in Spain sign petitions supporting euthanasia, to be put before Government on Friday - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 00:00
- Gibraltar Chief Minister Picardo meets outgoing UK Prime Minister Theresa May to discuss Iran crisis and Brexit - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 19:35
- Blood-soaked man arrested after allegedly stabbing dad to death before taking bus to hotel on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 19:08
- Open date REVEALED for ‘deliberately torched’ Marbella chiringuito originally opened by Eva Longoria - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 17:28
- REVEALED: 10 new UK to Spain flights run by airline Alba Star announced - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 13:40
- Rick Astley joins Enrique Iglesias, Take That, Mel C and Liam Gallagher at Gibraltar Calling festival THIS SUMMER - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 13:00