A BOAT travelling to Spain carrying 900 people has caught fire, as navy helicopters were scrambled.
The Plymouth to Santander Pont-Aven vessel, run by Brittany Ferries, was re-routed to Brest in northwest France following the incident.
Carrying 766 staff and 142 staff, the ship was attended by French navy choppers carrying firefighters to tackle the blaze.
Fire broke out in the engine room at around 4am on Monday.
The travel company said ‘comprehensive checks’ would now be carried out on the 184m-long boat, which can carry 2,400 passengers and 650 cars.
It added: “Crew immediately put training into action and brought the fire under control.
“Brittany Ferries would like to apologise to all passengers affected by this morning’s incident and for the disruption to their onward journeys.”
British and Spanish nationals were among those on-board, but nobody was injured.
Passengers were given the option to travel back to the UK or continue to Spain, and would be compensated either way.
- OPINION: Celebrities are pushing Mallorca’s positive image at the moment and the season has not even started - 26 May, 2019 @ 12:15
- Jet2 removes Costa del Sol beaches from its website after Olive Press probe into raw sewage pumped into sea - 25 May, 2019 @ 10:00
- Sea and air search launched for British diver and ex-soldier, 70, who vanished while diving in southern Spain - 24 May, 2019 @ 13:18
- British expat and dementia sufferer, 83, found dead on Spain’s Costa del Sol after four days missing - 24 May, 2019 @ 12:22
- GSD blasts Bet365’s Brexit move to shift Gibraltar operations to Malta as over 500 staff could be relocated - 24 May, 2019 @ 11:47
- Bet365 to relocate 1,000 staff from Gibraltar office to Malta in HUGE €70 million move over Brexit fears - 23 May, 2019 @ 17:53
- Largest ever cocaine haul made in Spain’s Sevilla as 1000 kilos of the drug smuggled in banana truck - 23 May, 2019 @ 16:03
- ‘HUMOUR HAS NO LIMITS’: Man in Spain defends his jokes about little Julen who died down well - 23 May, 2019 @ 12:37
- Spain’s Julio Iglesias is ‘willing’ to do DNA test to find out if Spanish lovechild is really his - 22 May, 2019 @ 18:18
- Police arrest 30 in Costa del Sol gigalo ring that lured young men with FAKE escort jobs, netting ringleaders €700,000 - 22 May, 2019 @ 15:33