A TAXI driver has been sacked after a passenger stole his car at a petrol station.
After picking up his client in Torre del Mar at 4pm on Wednesday, the taxi driver of two years stopped to refuel in Cajiz.
Once he left the vehicle to fill up, the passenger, an unidentified Romanian man, jumped into the driver’s seat and sped off towards Marbella.
The fugitive later stopped in Benalmadena and filled up with €85 of fuel, before he left without paying.
Francisco Jose Jimenez, boss of the taxi firm said: “The driver quickly called me and I warned my colleagues over the radio so they would be on the lookout all the way down to Marbella.”
The car was later found dumped in the El Angel area of Marbella at 11pm, six hours after it had been hijacked.
Police tracked the vehicle via the CCTV of nearby hotels, but the passenger is still on the run, despite being identified.
Jimenez, who was forced to fire his driver, added: “He made the mistake of not filling up for such a long journey, and should never have stopped to refuel with a client.
“It left a bad taste in my mouth, but I had to do it.”
The taxi suffered minor damage, including the removal, by the thief, of the light module on the roof.
- OPINION: Celebrities are pushing Mallorca’s positive image at the moment and the season has not even started - 26 May, 2019 @ 12:15
- Jet2 removes Costa del Sol beaches from its website after Olive Press probe into raw sewage pumped into sea - 25 May, 2019 @ 10:00
- Sea and air search launched for British diver and ex-soldier, 70, who vanished while diving in southern Spain - 24 May, 2019 @ 13:18
- British expat and dementia sufferer, 83, found dead on Spain’s Costa del Sol after four days missing - 24 May, 2019 @ 12:22
- GSD blasts Bet365’s Brexit move to shift Gibraltar operations to Malta as over 500 staff could be relocated - 24 May, 2019 @ 11:47
- Bet365 to relocate 1,000 staff from Gibraltar office to Malta in HUGE €70 million move over Brexit fears - 23 May, 2019 @ 17:53
- Largest ever cocaine haul made in Spain’s Sevilla as 1000 kilos of the drug smuggled in banana truck - 23 May, 2019 @ 16:03
- ‘HUMOUR HAS NO LIMITS’: Man in Spain defends his jokes about little Julen who died down well - 23 May, 2019 @ 12:37
- Spain’s Julio Iglesias is ‘willing’ to do DNA test to find out if Spanish lovechild is really his - 22 May, 2019 @ 18:18
- Police arrest 30 in Costa del Sol gigalo ring that lured young men with FAKE escort jobs, netting ringleaders €700,000 - 22 May, 2019 @ 15:33