THE Costa del Sol’s tourism market had its best winter on record, new figures have revealed.
Some 3.2 million travellers visited Spain’s southernmost coast between November 2018 and March of this year, beating all previous winter periods since records began.
Forecasts now predict that at least 7.3 million tourists will visit the coast this summer, and that this year will smash all previous records with 13 million visitors.
It comes after 2018 saw a record-breaking 12.6 million holidaymakers descend on the costa.
“The winter season has been the best in the history of the Costa del Sol,” a government spokesperson said, “Businesses have had increases throughout the low season and there are very good expectations in high season too.”
Spanish and British visitors made up a whopping 60% of the trips during winter.
Government sources said the Brits continue to be the dominating foreign force and that flight bookings have increased despite Brexit.
Tourism boss Arturo said the British market seemed to be ‘unaffected’.
Meanwhile travellers from Greece soared by 184%, Czech Republic (+61.3%), Austria (+52%), Japan (+33%), Russia (+22.3%), Finland (+9.3%), France (+9.1%), Italy (+8.8%), USA (+6.6%) and Sweden (+5.6%).
The welcome stats come after a strong digital marketing campaign which targeted nine of Spain’s biggest regional capitals and 45 cities across 12 European countries.
“Every year we are showing travellers that Malaga can be a year-round destination,” said Tourism director Arturo Bernal.
- Marbella has never lost its charm – in fact it’s only getting better, writes Laurence Dollimore - 26 May, 2019 @ 10:00
- IN PICS: New Gibraltar property development to rival London’s Mayfair - 24 May, 2019 @ 09:52
- Agnese Klavina’s family to take case to Supreme Court after ‘shock verdict’ sees Marbella based Brits accused of kidnap ‘walk free’ on lesser charge - 23 May, 2019 @ 13:38
- REVEALED: Majority of Andalucia’s El Corte Ingles stores in the red while Marbella and Malaga the ONLY Costa del Sol outlets to return a profit - 23 May, 2019 @ 11:07
- BUSTED: €600 million empire which trafficked drugs into the UK and laundered money into Spain’s property market - 22 May, 2019 @ 18:38
- British most obsessed with doggy-style while Spain loves ‘cuckolding’, as new study reveals world’s sexual preferences - 22 May, 2019 @ 17:36
- WARNING: Multi-day heatwaves and life threatening temperatures coming to Spain this summer - 22 May, 2019 @ 16:25
- WE’VE GOT THE POWER: Dozens of expats fill up the ballot lists for vital local elections in Spain’s Andalucia - 22 May, 2019 @ 13:12
- HAY FEVER EPIDEMIC: Expert reveals why your allergies seem much worse in Spain this year - 22 May, 2019 @ 12:47
- Liverpool FC brings extreme security measures to Marbella football training ground ahead of Champions League final - 22 May, 2019 @ 10:35