A ROMANTIC evening has ended in disaster after a young couple suffered third degree burns from an exploding cocktail.
Police are investigating the May 3 incident that led to a Swedish woman, 33, being airlifted to hospital, while her partner, 34, was also hospitalised, along with a German man, 48.
The female expat was ‘most affected’, according to witnesses, after her silk dress caught fire when the flaming Captain Jack Sparrow cocktail ignited.
“The couple literally went up in flames,” said one fellow reveller at Santa Catalina’s El Neo bar, in Carrer de la Boteria.
He added that the burning woman ‘stripped to her waist and fled outside’.
“Frightened, hurt, naked and going into shock she was literally left to sit outside on the pavement,” she added.
The witness also claimed the bar does not have a water tap and that ‘customers had to use drinking water to help douse the flames’.
A Policia Nacional spokesperson told the Olive Press they are now ‘trying to find out more details’ about the contents of the drink.
According to El Neo’s menu, the cocktail contains rum, pineapple juice, passion fruit, overproof rum and cinnamon, and sells for €9.
The owner of El Neo told the Olive Press that ‘it was an accident and everything was quickly brought under control’.
She insisted the bar ‘does have a tap’.
The female victim was taken by air ambulance to the burns unit at Barcelona’s Vall d’Hebron hospital, while the two men were treated at Palma’s Son Espases.
- ‘Greedy’ landowner sells expats’ animal refuge land near Costa del Sol meaning 800 animals could be killed - 20 Jul, 2019 @ 10:02
- OPINION: Is it any wonder racism flourishes in Spain, when a teacher of all people, feels she can call black men ‘monkeys’? - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 18:44
- SHOEDUNIT: Man cuffed in Spain’s Andalucia after hiding kilo of hash in trainers - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 14:58
- Spain’s FIRST boutique hotel with craft beer microbrewery opens on Costa del Sol - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 13:25
- Gibraltar Chief Minister Fabian Picardo meets Boris Johnson and Jeremy Hunt for Brexit and Iran crunch talks - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:49
- British cyclist Chris Froome awarded 2011 Vuelta a Espana after Spanish champion stripped of title over doping - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:08
- Ex-soldier shoots wife dead with rifle from terrace before killing himself outside ex-wife’s home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:22
- IS IT YOURS?: Police in Spain’s Andalucia search for owner of €400 found in hotel - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 11:44
- Over 1 million people in Spain sign petitions supporting euthanasia, to be put before Government on Friday - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 00:00
- Gibraltar Chief Minister Picardo meets outgoing UK Prime Minister Theresa May to discuss Iran crisis and Brexit - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 19:35