FORGET a cheeky spring escape in Madrid at the end of the month.
For the average price for a two night stay in the capital is coming in at around €5000 for the hotel accommodation alone.
Take Booking.com – 96% of the site’s rooms are now booked in Madrid, with rooms running out quickly, and hostels charging 10 times what they usually do!
A two night stay on the weekend of May 31 to June 2 could be the most expensive ever in Spanish (even European history).
The Olive Press was unable to find one place for less than €1000 on Booking.com or Trivago.
Plenty are over €20,000, including Hotel Wellington at €24,000 and Santo Mauro at €26,000 (where David Beckham once lived) and that’s before you even order a Coke!
And if you thought you were clever – perhaps staying in Toledo, Aranjuez or Chinchon, three attractive towns within easy reach of the capital – well give it a go.
For that weekend they are already full and what’s left was around the same price.
And Airbnb is no different – most flats and apartments were costing well over €2,000 for two nights!
It comes as Liverpool and Tottenham fans have been advised to fly via Palma to Madrid after flights also shot up to more than €1500 this week after the British teams’ decisive victories. Tickets for the game were weighing in at a horrific 3000 to 4000 euros a ticket with many sporting and ticket sites offering them for much more.
The English clubs booked their spots in the Champions League final on June 1 after pulling off two of the best comebacks in history by beating Barcelona and Ajax, 4-0 and 3-2 respectively.
Alternative routes have been revealed for those travelling to the Wanda Metropolitano Stadium, including flying from Manchester to Brussels, to Palma, and then Madrid, and returning to Manchester via Berlin, working out at just €175.
This mammoth journey does however mean setting off on May 30 and not returning until June 4, having spent five nights in Madrid.
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48