TOTTENHAM and Liverpool fans have been told to take alternative routes for the Champions League final as Madrid’s airport will be at full capacity.
The European Cup’s grand finale sees the two Premier League teams meet on June 1, with 150,000 fans expected to make the trip to Spain.
Staff at Madrid Airport normally handle up to 3,000 passengers an hour but the huge number of supporters flying in will see that number double.
“We are currently, however, recommending bypassing Madrid Airport as it normally only handles 2,000-3,000 passengers an hour. That number is expected to rise to more than 6,000 per hour, causing lengthy passport control delays in and out.
“We are suggesting flights to Zaragoza or Valencia which are both a few hours away by luxury coach, but that will be a lot more relaxing than the chaos at Madrid Airport,” said Air Charter Service spokesperson Glenn Phillips.
A seat at Atletico Madrid’s Wanda Metropolitano ground for this season’s most anticipated European clash will set supporters back up to €587.
Each club has been allocated only 16,613 tickets for the all-English final, a decision both sets of fans have criticised as ‘measley.’
A joint statement by supporters said: “For many, the final is not a one-off event. It is the culmination of a season-long journey for fans,
“But supporters’ joy has been tempered by the extortionate costs of travel, accommodation and tickets – if they get a ticket at all with the measly allocation from UEFA.”
- AND THEY’RE OFF: Expats across Spain head to the polls - 26 May, 2019 @ 15:34
- OPINION: The shock verdict that sees Westley Capper and Craig Porter ‘walk free’ is an insult to Agnese Klavina’s family - 25 May, 2019 @ 13:00
- ISIS video threatens tourists in Spain after death of British ‘punk rock jihadi’ - 24 May, 2019 @ 14:45
- ‘I HAVE DONE MY BEST’: Tearful Theresa May resigns as UK Prime Minister - 24 May, 2019 @ 11:57
- British woman dies on UK-bound flight at Mallorca airport moments before take-off - 23 May, 2019 @ 11:29
- Judge allows convicted British criminal to go on Spain holiday after taser and cocaine bust - 22 May, 2019 @ 16:56
- Mystery buzzing leads couple in southern Spain to 80,000 bees in their bedroom wall - 21 May, 2019 @ 10:58
- British toddler badly hurt in cliff fall after ‘slipping from mother’s arms’ at Mallorca beach - 20 May, 2019 @ 11:38
- British holidaymaker drowns off Costa del Sol while swimming at popular expat beach - 17 May, 2019 @ 11:44
- British father fights for life in Spain after fall onto Costa del Sol motorway - 17 May, 2019 @ 11:11