SPAIN’S conservative party (PP) has come out on top of yesterday’s municipal elections in the province of Alicante.
The PP won 595 councillor seats in the Costa Blanca province, 30 more than the socialist party’s (PSOE-PSPV) 565.
Compromis trailed in third with 181 municipal councillor seats, followed by Ciudadanos with 129.
The major cities of the province – Alicante, Torrevieja and Benidorm – all fell to the PP, except for Elche which remained red.
The PP also regained control of the Provincial Council of Alicante, keeping their 15 councillors, while PSOE won 13.
A conservative win in the province comes after the socialists dominated Alicante in both regional and general elections last month.
The Marina Alta however remained red, with the largest municipalities of Javea and Denia going to the socialists.
Here’s a breakdown of how the elections went in the Marina Alta and Marina Baja:
PSOE won with 36.3%
PSOE won with 48.4%
PSOE won with 45.3%
MesB won with 48.3%
PP won with 36.9%
PP won with 37.9%
PP won with 38%
Gata de Gorgos
PP won with 38.7%
Compromis won with 32.4%
Alfas del Pi
PSOE won with 59.5%
PP won with 27.2%
- ‘HE LIKES IT’: Benidorm bar responds to claims that midget stripper advert was a ‘hate crime’ - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 12:12
- BREAKING: First chikungunya outbreak in Spain as three tourists on the Costa Blanca are infected - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 12:29
- Girl of THREE among 79 illegal immigrants intercepted as Guardia Civil arrests Alicante-based trafficking gang - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 13:27
- PICTURED: Romanian woman beheaded on the Costa Blanca as police say arrest ‘imminent’ - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 12:40
- WATCH: British-run restaurant blocked by ‘two truck loads’ of rubble as neighbour demands 150,000 for strip of land - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 18:36
- Three ‘pirate taxis’ confiscated from illicit drivers at Alicante-Elche Airport - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 17:51
- Javea’s Cova Tallada to become first beach in Valencian Community with restricted visitor access due to tourism pressure - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 15:43
- WATCH: Woman leaps into sea as ‘Kontiki II’ ferry boat nearly smashes into 154-metre Balearia behemoth between Ibiza and Formentera - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 13:11
- Man starved dog to avoid ‘picking up its poo’ arrested on the Costa Blanca - 12 Jun, 2019 @ 18:45
- Spanish bar bills customer €10 for ‘taking the piss’ - 12 Jun, 2019 @ 15:08