SECURITY has been stepped up in Madrid ahead of saturday’s all-English Champions League final.
Authorities expect 67,800 fans to attend Saturday’s clash between Tottenham Hotspur and Liverpool at the Wanda Metropolitano stadium.
Police have deployed drones and banned trucks to counter a high threat of terror and prevent fan trouble.
“Security forces and corps have done an enormous, exhaustive and excellent job so that we can all enjoy (the match),” said Madrid regional government spokersperson Maria Paz Garcia-Vera.
Police numbers will swell to 4,700 for what authorities have termed a ‘high risk’ event.
British police are sharing intelligence with their Spanish counterparts and will be in Madrid to assist in the security operation.
Madrid Police Director Francisco Pardo said: “The Champions final is a world showcase, they will be looking at us from all over the world and the Spanish police want to be there to offer a good image of Spain as a safe, hospitable and friendly country.”
- UK minister issues summer job prison warning for Brits on Spain holiday island - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:24
- Ex Real Madrid superstar Ronaldo adds to luxury supercar collection with new €850,000 McLaren Senna - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 17:12
- Family of Mallorca climber killed in fall blast authorities in Spain over long wait for news of body - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 16:13
- Former IRA bomber, known as the ‘Angel of Death’ jailed in Spain alongside husband over Costas property scam - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 11:56
- Young British rock climber dies after falling 60ft in Mallorca - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 18:05
- Spain’s La Liga fined over popular mobile app that spied on illegal match screenings - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 11:48
- NASA images reveal ‘sea of plastic’ - 12 Jun, 2019 @ 13:23
- British surfer drowns in southern Spain after being swept away by strong currents in front of niece - 11 Jun, 2019 @ 18:07
- Brit in Spain takes on Nigel Farage bankroller with 2,000 mile Brexit protest walk from Gibraltar to London - 11 Jun, 2019 @ 15:57
- Search called off for woman who fell overboard on luxury Spain cruise to Mallorca - 11 Jun, 2019 @ 13:00