A FLIGHT has been forced to turn back to Spain after a man tried to open the cabin door mid-flight.
The ‘serious incident’ occurred on a Aireuropa flight UX89 from Madrid to Santo Domingo yesterday afternoon.
Just 40 minutes after the 16.10 take off, a ‘drunk’ man who was ‘visibly upset’ lurched for the cabin door, sources said.
He was pounced upon by fellow passengers, which luckily included a policeman from Malaga who was trained in subduing violent suspects.
The man, who witnesses said had a ‘strong smell of alcohol’, was held while the pilot returned the plane to Madrid.
Large amounts of fuel had to be released to comply with weight limits during landing.
Aireuropa confirmed the incident, saying a traveller had become visibly ‘aggressive and violent,’ and had to be held down by passengers.
The man was arrested by police at Madrid-Barajas airport.
Some passengers stayed on the flight and took off some hours later while others opted to get off and were given free tickets to fly today.
- WARNING: How meticulous thieves are robbing your homes while you enjoy days at the beach along Spain’s Costa del Sol - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 17:06
- Luxury brands continue to bet on Marbella’s Puerto Banus as Hermes, Versace and Fendi to set up shop - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 13:09
- Rival the yachts of Marbella this summer with this HUGE inflatable boat from Amazon - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:55
- REVEALED: British flyers behind soar in on-flight incidents in Spain as Malaga, Alicante and Mallorca most affected by bad behaviour - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:24
- IN PICS: The stunning 16th century estate going up for auction in Spain - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 09:07
- Fake goods costing Spain and EU billions each year - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 08:38
- Brothers cuffed after trying to stuff 11 champagne bottles down one of their tops in huge shoplifting FAIL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:22
- British tourists still flocking to Spain’s Malaga as first quarter of 2019 shows almost 10% increase in hotel stays - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:04
- 8 things you didn’t know were ILLEGAL to do at the beach on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 12:29
- Young paedo groomed at least 10 children across Spain’s Alicante, Andalucia and Valencia and paid them for explicit images while posing as underage girl online - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 11:26