ANOTHER bin-torcher has been cuffed in Palma just weeks after the serial arsonist behind the crimes was jailed.
A 62-year-old Spanish retiree is the latest to be picked up by police for the spate of deliberate fires.
Police are now investigating whether the man, who is the fifth person arrested over the incidents, was linked to the fires in the Camp Redo area.
Days after his arrest, there were then two more container fires, both in Calle Eusebio Estada, taking the total number of bin burnings in Palma to over 370.
Total damages for the crimes are now estimated at around €370,000, as each unit costs around €700, while the cleanup is about €300.
It comes after one of the main arsonists, a 58-year-old man, was caught by police in Pere Garau, after he was seen starting a blaze on CCTV footage.
The unnamed pyromaniac, who was nabbed by officers ‘with a lighter in each hand’, and is responsible for 36 different bin fires, acted in revenge, according to police.
After being arrested on June 4, it emerged that the firebug had been fined by police for letting his dog off the lead, so had begun a campaign of bin attacks, resulting in €76,000 of damage.
Police inspector Eduardo Perez said: “We surprised the arsonist with both hands inside the container and lighters ready to set fire to it.”
A police spokesperson told the Olive Press that the suspected ringleader of Palma’s bin fires remains in prison, despite his €100,000 bail.
- American football star caught jumping over bulls at Spain’s San Fermin as veterans SLAM festival as ‘TOO SAFE’ - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:30
- Young woman arrested after ‘stabbing man in face with fork’ in Gibraltar’s Ocean Village - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:02
- Spanish man arrested over rape of British teenage girl in park in Spain - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 08:53
- Rock climber drowns in front of daughter after 30-metre plunge into sea near Spain’s Costa del Sol - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 08:16
- Iconic castle on Spain’s Costa del Sol is FINALLY being repaired - 14 Jul, 2019 @ 09:14
- WATCH: Spanish school teacher’s vile RACIST rant at black British men on Spain train, calling them ‘monkeys’ and ‘f**king Africans’ - 13 Jul, 2019 @ 10:03
- Environmental group names and shames 19 Costa del Sol beaches as among worst in Spain - 13 Jul, 2019 @ 09:01
- Spain’s Government SEIZES former dictator General Franco’s €5 million summer palace over its ‘fraudulent’ sale - 12 Jul, 2019 @ 13:22
- Jennifer Lopez to perform on Spain’s Costa del Sol for her 50th birthday - 12 Jul, 2019 @ 12:39
- Marbella mayor invites Barack Obama back to Costa del Sol to play golf - 12 Jul, 2019 @ 11:36