THE Costa del Sol’s first ever Roman olive oil press has been unearthed in Mijas.
The ancient find is one of many at the site of Finca de Acebedo, a Roman villa which continues to be excavated by archaeologists.
Experts came across the counterweight for the four-tonne device, which they believe was used between the third and fourth centuries.
The device consisted of a large stone bowl (mortarium) into which the olives were poured and then crushed under two concave stones (orbes) attached to a central beam (cupa) fixed to an iron pivot (columella).
It comes after two ovens and extremely well-preserved Roman baths were discovered in the same area a few months ago.
The area will become the largest archaeology park on the Costa del Sol and plans to be a major tourism and cultural attraction.
The head of Mijas’s Historic Heritage department, Juan Jose de la Rubia, previously said the discovery of two ovens in very good condition, and other materials, indicates that this is ‘one of the few existing sites from the early days of the Roman presence in the province’.
The site is said to be hugely important for studying the transitional period between the Carthaginians and Romans.
- MUST READ: How to survive a rip current following deaths of two swimmers on Costa del Sol beach - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:43
- Man becomes second to die off Costa del Sol beach in just 15 days - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 16:35
- BRACE YOURSELVES: Hot winds to bring temperatures of up to 39C on Spain’s Costa del Sol TODAY - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 10:27
- WATCH: Stingray capable of killing humans spotted on shore metres from children on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 13 Jul, 2019 @ 09:13
- British expats arrested and fined in new crackdown on ‘pirate taxis’ at Malaga airport - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:31
- BREAKING: Body washes up on beach near Marbella’s exclusive Golden Mile - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:05
- HE’S THE DADDY: Court rules Javier Santos IS the love child of Spanish superstar Julio Iglesias - 10 Jul, 2019 @ 18:01
- ‘WRONG MESSAGE’: Young man who accidentally killed drug addict while stopping him from robbing helpless cleaner on Spain’s Costa del Sol given two-year prison sentence and HUGE fine - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 12:37
- British giant Virgin Trains eyes up moving into Spain market after UK becomes ‘uninvestable’ - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 11:49
- Expert says southern Spain and Balearics at ‘great risk’ of tsunamis but authorities ‘are not prepared’ - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 11:19