Gibraltar part-timers St Joseph’s must be dreaming of beating one of the European giants at Victoria Stadium in the Europa League qualifiers.
It would not be the first time either, as Lincoln Red Imps overcame Scottish Champions Celtic FC only three years ago.
St Joseph’s manager Raul Procopio was manager of Lincoln Red Imps too, so an upset might be on the cards.
For now at least, Procopio was keeping a cool head for the match, emphasizing the gulf between the two sides.
“I think getting to play Glasgow Rangers FC is a prize in itself and we need to enjoy the occasion,” he exclusively told The Olive Press.
“Even though in football you never know what will happen, they are professionals and we are amateurs.
“However, we will take on Rangers with confidence and try to raise our game for the local crowd.”
St Joseph’s qualified to the Europa League by coming third in the Gibraltar league.
The Saints, as they are known on the Rock, beat Macedonian side FC Prishtina 2-0 at the Victoria Stadium last week.
“To be honest I think we played great football creating plenty of chances,” said John Paul Hendrick of St Joseph’s.
The match became much more one-sided when Prishtina had two of their players sent off early in the second half.
“Before the sendings off the FC Prishtina players were constantly arguing and commiting fouls,” said Hendrick.
It ended up 3-1 on aggregate to a club that had inflicted a big defeat on another club from Gibraltar that are also playing in the Europa League qualifiers this week.
Europa FC will be hosting one of the biggest clubs in Poland, Legia Warsaw, on July 11 at the Victoria Stadium.
“We are delighted to play Legia Warsaw, a top team with a budget of over £40 million,” said Europa FC president Peter Cabezutto.
“We will give it our all and try to get the best possible result to take to take to the Polish capital.”
Europa FC put four past Andorran side St Julia in the first round of the Europa League qualifiers.
Tickets for both matches are available at the Victoria Stadium in Gibraltar.
- St Joseph’s manager happy to keep Rangers out for a half in Europa league second round first leg - 10 Jul, 2019 @ 13:56
- Rangers arrive in Gibraltar trying to avoid the fate of arch-rivals Celtic at this ground three years back - 8 Jul, 2019 @ 17:51
- EXCLUSIVE: Picardo vows to fight Brexit and protect Gibraltar whether Boris Johnson or Jeremy Hunt is UK Prime Minister - 8 Jul, 2019 @ 15:00
- New monkey adventure park gets big cash boost after safari fashion show in Gibraltar’s Ocean Village - 27 Jun, 2019 @ 11:05
- ‘The closure of the border shaped us as a people,’ says Deputy Chief Minister, comparing historic event to Brexit - 9 Jun, 2019 @ 15:28
- Challenges ahead as Brexit turmoil looms for Gibraltar, says Deputy chief minister - 8 Jun, 2019 @ 08:57
- Robbie Williams ‘to join’ Take That performance at Gibraltar Calling festival - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 16:30
- Tickets for opera star Andrea Bocelli concert in Gibraltar sell out in just two days - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 16:22
- WATCH: Nearly 400 new affordable homes to be built at North Mole in Gibraltar - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 19:33
- Lib Dem leader Vince Cable issues stark Brexit warning for Gibraltar in EXCLUSIVE Olive Press interview - 26 May, 2019 @ 11:00