FINANCIAL trouble has put Thomas Cook on the brink of collapse, creating uncertainty for thousands of British travellers holidaying in Spain.
The world’s oldest travel company is seeking a £200 million bailout from the UK Government.
If the cash is not found by the end of this weekend then the company could see the end of its 178-year history.
The travel giant’s collapse could leave 150,000 holidaymakers stranded.
Holidaymakers Terry and Janet Roberts, 63 and 61 told the Olive Press: “We were okay. We were not affected by Thomas cook going into administration.”
The Chester couple were speaking at Malaga Airport, a key transport hub for Thomas Cook.
They added: “However, imagine if we had a wedding or something we had to go to.
“We feel really sorry for those people that are stranded, that need to work and have all these important things.
“Other than that, Thomas Cook have been accommodating.
“We’ve had a great holiday, but we are meant to leave on September 28 and the Thomas Cook meeting is the day after. Hopefully it will be fine.”
Thomas Cook had been in rescue talks with China’s Fosun.
However creditor banks then demanded the embattled operator come up with the extra £200 million.
The 178-year-old firm has told worried holidaymakers to ignore reports of a potential collapse, reminding them that they have Atol insurance, ‘in the event that Thomas Cook goes into administration’.