VICTIMS of the Vega Baja’s worst floods for 140 years can now request emergency funds ‘up to €4,500’ from their respective Town Halls.

UTTER DEVASTATION: Scenes like this are found right across the region

Residents can submit a short form to their Town Hall – receiving a minimum of €1,500 that can be increased depending on damage suffered.

The emergency funding will be available from now until October 14 and expected to cover costs for food, furniture and clothes.

The Valencian Generalitat has pledged €13.5 million for these emergency payments in order to ‘restore normality’ as soon as possible.

STILL CLEARING UP: People of Los Alcazares try to cope
PHOTO: The Olive Press

The Valencian Minister of Justice, Interior and Public Administration, Gabriela Bravo, said: “The Generalitat will deploy administrative technicians who will be located – in each of the eight most affected municipalities – to inform and help victims in the necessary procedures to access the subsidies”.

“The objective is that payments are processed as quickly as possible so that they can reach those affected as soon as possible”.

The Olive Press previously reported that the decree to aid victims would be published on Friday 20 after the plenary session of the Consell that was held in Orihuela.

READ MORE:  https://www.theolivepress.es/spain-news/2019/09/19/valencian-government-to-provide-financial-aid-to-flood-victims-as-estimates-put-damage-at-e1-5-billion-to-the-costa-blanca/

Those affected MUST have a legal title – such as a deed of ownership or a rental agreement – to occupy the home that was damaged by the floods.

“After a gota fría of the magnitude and intensity as we have suffered, the affected people should feel that Generalitat is at their side to help them rebuild their homes as soon as possible,” Bravo said.

FINANCIAL HELP: Immediate relief with up to €4500 per home affected.
PHOTO: Sveriges Konsulat i Torrevieja / Consulado de Suecia en Torrevieja

“Therefore, this aid package has become an absolute priority for the Consell.

“No resources will be spared so that damage can be repaired with the utmost urgency, because we are talking about people’s basic needs.”

Darren Parmenter, San Fulgencio Councillor for Tourism, Press and International Relations, told the Olive Press: “Anyone affected has to go their town hall to register ASAP and they will help.

“The €1,500 available is a minimum and I believe will be an interim payment – the maximum being €4,500.”

DOWNLOAD the form by clicking here

If you have been affected by the floods or have been to claim for emergency aid, please email us at newsdesk@theolivepress.es

Donate

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.