PRINCESSES Leonor and Sofia have joined their parents on royal duty to meet and congratulate winners of the 2020 Princess of Asturias Awards.
Named after Princess Leonor’s official title, the awards were presented in Oviedo, Asturias to companies and individuals who had made notable achievements in humanities, public affairs and sciences in the past year.
Laureates this year were:
– Spanish health workers on the front line against COVID-19
– Composers Ennio Morricone and John Williams
– The Guadalajara International Book Fair
– Economist Dani Rodrik
– Rally driver Carlos Sainz Cenamor
– Poet Anne Carson
– Mathematicians Yves Meyer, Ingrid Daubechies, Terence Tao, and Emmanuel Candès
-The international consortium Gavi Vaccine Alliance
Each winner received a diploma, a pin with the logo of the Princess of Asturias Foundation, and a sculpture by Barcelona artist Joan Miro.
Category winners also receive prize money of €50,000, which is shared out between the team if it is a group project.
To comply with coronavirus safeguarding measures, the ceremony was moved from its usual venue in the Campoamor Theatre to limit audience numbers.