HE is already taking grave risks in his day to day career.
Now Spain’s only gay matador is risking the wrath of the sport’s traditionally conservative fanbase.
As if it was not enough sporting a pink cape and bringing the traditional macho reputation of his profession into question.
Now Joselito Ortega has made history by signing a three year deal to advertise an energy drink called Gay Up.
The Malaga bullfighter is to advertise the drink popular on the gay club scene, on the back of his magenta cape.
Unsurprisingly, Ortega’s radical break from tradition has already drawn fierce criticism from the normally reserved bullfighting world.
Critics insist that it has violated one of the most sacred rules of the ring.
“It is like prostituting the cape,” remarked Juan Belmonte, a bullfighting critic for Canal Sur.
However, Ortega – who began fighting in 2006 – has defended the landmark decision.
“It is like prostituting the cape.”
“I am a bullfighter. That is not going to change,” he said.
“I am going to go out into the ring as I have done until now, to risk my life.”
Having been gored six times in his short career so far, Ortega clearly has no fears about the effect his revolutionary decision will have on the career he loves.
“It is a matter of changing what is normal, or usual, within this world that seems so untouchable,” he added.
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00
- Moorish makeover for relaunch of Andalucian teahouse on Costa de la Luz - 17 Mar, 2018 @ 14:00
- Incredible 20 Michelin starred chefs – with 40 stars between them – to descend on Marbella - 16 Mar, 2018 @ 17:00