HE is already taking grave risks in his day to day career.
Now Spain’s only gay matador is risking the wrath of the sport’s traditionally conservative fanbase.
As if it was not enough sporting a pink cape and bringing the traditional macho reputation of his profession into question.
Now Joselito Ortega has made history by signing a three year deal to advertise an energy drink called Gay Up.
The Malaga bullfighter is to advertise the drink popular on the gay club scene, on the back of his magenta cape.
Unsurprisingly, Ortega’s radical break from tradition has already drawn fierce criticism from the normally reserved bullfighting world.
Critics insist that it has violated one of the most sacred rules of the ring.
“It is like prostituting the cape,” remarked Juan Belmonte, a bullfighting critic for Canal Sur.
However, Ortega – who began fighting in 2006 – has defended the landmark decision.
“It is like prostituting the cape.”
“I am a bullfighter. That is not going to change,” he said.
“I am going to go out into the ring as I have done until now, to risk my life.”
Having been gored six times in his short career so far, Ortega clearly has no fears about the effect his revolutionary decision will have on the career he loves.
“It is a matter of changing what is normal, or usual, within this world that seems so untouchable,” he added.
- ALIVE AND KICKING: Trio of British rock legends wow the festival crowds at Lisbon’s Nos Alive - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 17:18
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27