By Nicola Cowell
PRESSURE is being ramped up on a plan to charge a toll for visitors to the Rock after local Gibraltarians launched a campaign to boycott La Linea.
Thousands of locals have joined the campaign which vows not to spend any money in the neighbouring
border town after its mayor came up with the idea.
The campaign intends to hit the town in the pocket an force the mayor to reconsider.
Spanish and British unions have announced they will also join forces to protest against the plans to charge every car five euros to cross the border.
But the unions – who represent an estimated 7,000 Spaniards, who rely on Gibraltar for their living – are planning a protest to take place this Friday.
The Spanish government has also added its weight to the opposition insisting its lawyers will go to court to contest the plans.
The Ministry for public works has already denied permission to change traffic flow at the border to make
room for toll booths.
The mayor has now changed tack and is pressing on with plans to charge vehicles as they leave the Rock
He insists the toll would raise an estimated 30million euros for the struggling town.
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00
- Moorish makeover for relaunch of Andalucian teahouse on Costa de la Luz - 17 Mar, 2018 @ 14:00
- Incredible 20 Michelin starred chefs – with 40 stars between them – to descend on Marbella - 16 Mar, 2018 @ 17:00