By Nicola Cowell
PRESSURE is being ramped up on a plan to charge a toll for visitors to the Rock after local Gibraltarians launched a campaign to boycott La Linea.
Thousands of locals have joined the campaign which vows not to spend any money in the neighbouring
border town after its mayor came up with the idea.
The campaign intends to hit the town in the pocket an force the mayor to reconsider.
Spanish and British unions have announced they will also join forces to protest against the plans to charge every car five euros to cross the border.
But the unions – who represent an estimated 7,000 Spaniards, who rely on Gibraltar for their living – are planning a protest to take place this Friday.
The Spanish government has also added its weight to the opposition insisting its lawyers will go to court to contest the plans.
The Ministry for public works has already denied permission to change traffic flow at the border to make
room for toll booths.
The mayor has now changed tack and is pressing on with plans to charge vehicles as they leave the Rock
He insists the toll would raise an estimated 30million euros for the struggling town.
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00