- OP Xtreme
- Business & Finance
- Crime & Law
- Food Drink
- News Features
- Eating Out
- Andalucia Property Search
A Spanish romance
December 1, 2010 at
11:04 am • LAST EDITED:
December 7, 2010 at
Entertainment • 0 Comments
• WORD SMITHS: Hemingway and Gellhorn
IT was an unusual trip for a married couple… particularly in the 1930s.
But the fascinating story about the trip to Spain by Ernest Heminway and Martha Gellhorn during the Spanish Civil War is about to be finally told.
A new film, starring British actor Clive Owen and Nicole Kidman, will recount the tempestuous romance between writer Hemingway and celebrated war correspondent Gellhorn.
Retelling the story of one of America’s most famous literary couples, it begins in 1936 when the pair first met in a bar in Florida.
He was already a famous writer and she was one of the greatest war correspondents of the 20th Century.
Their five-year marriage first saw them travel to Spain to record some of the most famous reports on the Spanish Civil War between 1936 and 1939.
Gellhorn was the only woman ever to ask Hemingway for a divorce and she inspired him to write his most famous novel, For Whom the Bell Tolls.
The film, entitled, Hemingway & Gellhorn, will be produced by James Gandolfini and is due to be released next year.
Reader Comments »
Messages will be moderated or deleted if they:
• Are considered likely to disrupt, provoke, attack or offend others
• Are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable
• Contain swear words or other language likely to offend
• Break the law or condone or encourage unlawful activity. This includes breach of copyright, defamation and contempt of court
• Advertise products or services for profit or gain
• Are seen to impersonate someone else
• Include contact details such as phone numbers, postal or email addresses
• Describe or encourage activities which could endanger the safety or well-being of others
Latest news from the Olive Press...
A local police officer accused of killing a woman has been found dead in his prison cell…