DISGRACED Gibraltarian fashion designer John Galliano has been found guilty of anti-Semitic tirades in Paris, and been handed a suspended 6,000-euro fine, but no prison sentence.
The 50-year old, who was not present in court for the verdict, has also been ordered to pay symbolic damages of one euro to each of the plaintiffs plus 16,500 euros in legal fees.
The Paris court found him guilty of ‘public insults based on origin, religious affiliation, race or ethnicity’ during two separate outbursts at the La Perle bar in Paris.
It comes after a video of Galliano was aired in which he is seen saying: “People like you ought to be dead, your mothers, your forefathers would all be gassed. I love Hitler.”
At a one-day trial in June, the designer – who was fired by the Dior fashion house over the scandal – said he had no recollection of the events, blaming a mixture of champagne and valium for his outburst.
However he also apologised profusely and condemned racism.
The presiding judge Anne-Marie Sauteraud, said there was a ‘web of proof’ that he had shouted the abuse in a way which was ‘audible to the public’ and that Galliano had ‘sufficient awareness of his act despite his triple addiction and fragile state.’
But the sentenced was reduced taking into account his apology to the plaintiffs during the trial.
According to Galliano’s lawyer, Aurelien Hamelle, the suspended sentence was a ‘very strong sign’ that the court had taken on board his apology and ongoing treatment.
“He is relieved these eight months are behind him. He’s looking forward to a future with understanding and forgiveness hopefully, and to put all of this behind him,” Hamelle said.
- Thousands evacuated as forest fire spreads along Costa del Sol - 31 Aug, 2012 @ 11:01
- Irishman shot in Torremolinos bar - 28 Aug, 2012 @ 10:27
- Experts confirm remains found on Cordoba estate belong to missing youngsters Ruth and Jose Breton - 27 Aug, 2012 @ 17:02
- Naked Chef Jamie Oliver in Marbella - 24 Aug, 2012 @ 18:24
- ‘Sickening’ kitten attacks in Estepona - 22 Aug, 2012 @ 12:55
- Little and large: Petite star Eva Longoria poses with fellow diner in Marbella - 21 Aug, 2012 @ 13:23
- Sheikh to sell Malaga FC - 19 Aug, 2012 @ 13:00
- Mercadona recalls cosmetic products linked to cancer - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 13:57
- David Cameron enjoys a summer holiday in Spain - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 10:28
- Gibraltar’s biggest ever dance festival set to attract some of the best DJs to the Rock - 27 Jul, 2012 @ 11:46