POLICE have arrested the father of two children who vanished from a park in Cordoba 11 days ago.
Jose Breton Gomez, 38, was seized at his home at 3am on Tuesday morning on suspicion of murder.
He was the last person to see Jose, two, and Ruth Breton Ortiz, six, alive before they disappeared and has been accused of making ‘false statements’.
He insisted he lost sight of them for ‘a moment’ and a search has been underway ever since.
But while CCTV footage of the park shows him talking to a security guard after the children vanished, there is no footage of him with the children and no witnesses saw him in the park with the youngsters.
His arrest comes just days after the children’s distraught mother Ruth Ortiz made an impassioned plea to have her children brought home.
“Whoever has them, if you let them free, you have my forgiveness,” she wrote in the letter. “I’m not vengeful. I was taught to forgive. I am capable of forgiving and forgetting if I can just see their faces again.”
The moving missive was read out at the end of a silent protest march of 1,200 people in the mother’s home city of Huelva.
City mayor and the family of murdered teenager Marta del Castillo (see left) were also present to show their support for the family.
A separate march in Cordoba headed to the park, where the pair went missing on October 8 while spending the weekend with their father, a former ambulance driver who has been unemployed for the last five months.
- Thousands evacuated as forest fire spreads along Costa del Sol - 31 Aug, 2012 @ 11:01
- Irishman shot in Torremolinos bar - 28 Aug, 2012 @ 10:27
- Experts confirm remains found on Cordoba estate belong to missing youngsters Ruth and Jose Breton - 27 Aug, 2012 @ 17:02
- Naked Chef Jamie Oliver in Marbella - 24 Aug, 2012 @ 18:24
- ‘Sickening’ kitten attacks in Estepona - 22 Aug, 2012 @ 12:55
- Little and large: Petite star Eva Longoria poses with fellow diner in Marbella - 21 Aug, 2012 @ 13:23
- Sheikh to sell Malaga FC - 19 Aug, 2012 @ 13:00
- Mercadona recalls cosmetic products linked to cancer - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 13:57
- David Cameron enjoys a summer holiday in Spain - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 10:28
- Gibraltar’s biggest ever dance festival set to attract some of the best DJs to the Rock - 27 Jul, 2012 @ 11:46