- OP Xtreme
- Business & Finance
- Crime & Law
- Food Drink
- News Features
- Eating Out
- Andalucia Property Search
‘Robin Hood’ of Spain refuses to testify
• Sanchez with fellow union member
A MAYOR who led hundreds of workers to steal food from supermarkets to feed the poor has ignored the warrant for his arrest and refused to appear in court.
Juan Manuel Sanchez Gordillo, mayor of the Communist town of Marinaleda in Sevilla, has said that the government minister Jorge Fernandez Diaz, who issued the warrant ‘is futile and does not know the laws’.
Gordillo, leader of the United Left party (IU), said that because of his seat in regional government, he is not required to testify unless summoned by The Supreme Court of Justice.
The left-wing mayor said: “Diaz should learn the law and learn to respect the Statute of Autonomy, which is being violated, because I have not been called by The Supreme Court.”
Gordillo and other protesters had also taken over a farm near Osuna, demanding a more equal distribution of land in the Andalucia region.
The group, who had planted vegetables on the unused land, were moved off the site by Guardia Civil on Friday.
So far five people have been arrested in relation to the food raids.
Reader Comments »
Messages will be moderated or deleted if they:
• Are considered likely to disrupt, provoke, attack or offend others
• Are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable
• Contain swear words or other language likely to offend
• Break the law or condone or encourage unlawful activity. This includes breach of copyright, defamation and contempt of court
• Advertise products or services for profit or gain
• Are seen to impersonate someone else
• Include contact details such as phone numbers, postal or email addresses
• Describe or encourage activities which could endanger the safety or well-being of others
Latest news from the Olive Press...
The James Bond star has been warned to cooperate with Spanish authorities…