By Eloise Horsfield
A SENIOR councillor at the Junta has spoken out against the plan to build a massive tourist complex on a virgin beach.
Tourism vice-councillor Antonio Jesus Roldan (IU) made it clear he was not in favour of the 84,000 square metre mega project near Valdevaqueros beach, which was approved by Tarifa Town Hall in June.
Speaking after a visit to Tarifa, Roldan said he supported the pressure group ‘Salvemos Valdevaqueros’ (Save Valdevaqueros), who have been fighting against the proposal for months.
“Our tourism model does not include building on Valdevaqueros,” said Roldan.
He added that while it was the responsibility of his department to approve or reject the proposal, he would do everything in his power to make sure the initiative ‘cannot go ahead’.
Meanwhile environment councillor Luis Planas responded to journalists’ questions with less certainty.
While he promised he is committed to studying the proposal ‘with a fine-tooth comb’ to ensure its compliance with environmental law, he said he could not predict the result.
“I cannot anticipate the outcome of the administrative and technical process, which is still ongoing,” he said.
“What I will say is, I believe there are development plans on the coast responding to criteria which the majority of Andalucians do not back.”
- Avocados in Spain at risk of devastation from fungus transmitted by beetles - 20 Dec, 2012 @ 08:26
- Junta introduces bike scheme but fails to reduce 263-strong fleet of company cars - 19 Dec, 2012 @ 08:12
- Descendants of Sephardic Jews gain automatic citizenship in Spain - 18 Dec, 2012 @ 13:00
- Phoenix Campaign meeting under way this morning to help fire victims rebuild their homes - 18 Dec, 2012 @ 11:15
- Oil painting by Ecco Homo ‘restorer’ fetches €1,080 on eBay - 18 Dec, 2012 @ 11:10
- Females twice as likely as men to opt for herbal medicine - 17 Dec, 2012 @ 11:48
- Man charged after selling fake magnetic therapy machine for €1,200 - 16 Dec, 2012 @ 15:29
- Gambling conference attracts 200 former addicts - 16 Dec, 2012 @ 08:05
- IU boss ‘tremendous disappointed’ after ERE report rejected by Junta - 15 Dec, 2012 @ 12:41
- Anchovy fishing to continue in Spain following quota swap - 15 Dec, 2012 @ 08:10