CAMPAIGNERS are to stage a protest outside La Cala de Mijas Town Hall in an effort to stop oil drilling 9km offshore.
Citizens Against Oil Exploration on the Costa del Sol will meet on December 22 at 12pm to read a manifesto against the joint plans of the government and oil giant Respol.
Local PSOE mayors have already joined Greenpeace activists in publicising the risks of oil drilling, fearing a disaster similar to that of the Prestige oil tanker spill in 2002.
Concerns have also grown about the effect oil exploration will have on the Costa del Sol’s tourism industry, the leading source of employment in the area.
For more information on Citizens Against Oil Exploration on the Costa del Sol contact: 650 952 081
- Speed cameras fitted at Costa del Sol blackspot - 4 Jul, 2013 @ 16:58
- Restaurant review: Iglu - 4 Jul, 2013 @ 16:51
- Barcenas appeals jail sentence and denies ‘flight risk’ claim - 3 Jul, 2013 @ 16:09
- Socialist minister embroiled in Andalucia unemployment scandal - 2 Jul, 2013 @ 18:04
- Former PP treasurer is jailed in Madrid - 1 Jul, 2013 @ 12:43
- Mass grave excavated in Ronda - 28 Jun, 2013 @ 17:56
- Outrage after top bullfighter posts pit-bull attack on Facebook - 28 Jun, 2013 @ 17:46
- Health cuts could cost lives warn Spanish doctors - 28 Jun, 2013 @ 17:06
- UK government to strip expats of Winter Fuel Allowance - 28 Jun, 2013 @ 12:46
- Picardo calls on Cameron over Gibraltar jet ski shooting - 27 Jun, 2013 @ 16:36