the olive press
Spain's best English daily news website
Saturday, December 20, 2014
Subscribe: RSS or Email

Help for expats using the EHIC card

PUBLISHED: February 26, 2013 at 3:41 pm  •  LAST EDITED: February 26, 2013 at 6:18 pm
Andalucia, Lead2  •  1 Comments

Help for expats using the EHIC card

• The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)

Do you have news for us?
Click to contact the newsdesk!

A CAMPAIGN to educate British citizens in Spain about how to use their UK-issued European Health Insurance Cards (EHICs) has been launched.

The EHIC Campaign aims to raise awareness among the estimated 300,000 British citizens living in the Valencia region as well as healthcare staff.

The 15 month campaign, funded by the European Union, is being run by the UK Department of Health alongside health chiefs in Valencia.

Launching the campaign in Alicante, David Pennington, head of the Department of Health’s international healthcare team, said: “Many British citizens living in Spain are confused about how to access state healthcare and many use their EHIC cards when they should be accessing healthcare in another way.

“This campaign explains who can use a UK-issued EHIC and what it’s for.

“It also tells people about other ways to access state healthcare in Spain, depending on their circumstances.”

The UK European Health Insurance Card should only be used to access essential treatment during the course of a temporary stay in Spain.

It does not provide access to all state treatment but for those in Spain on a temporary stay, it is the correct way to access state healthcare.

However British citizens who live mainly in Spain should change the way they are registered, because for them the UK European Health Insurance Card is not the correct form of health cover.

For more information on the use of EHICs visit:

For a full list of the 18 public talks taking place as part of the campaign, visit:



Did you like this? Share it:

Reader Comments »

Liz Maddock

August 23rd, 2013 10:10 am

As a resident pensioner registered for health care in Spain, do I need the EHIC or something to receive health care when visiting the UK or other EU countries?

The views expressed in the comments above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Olive Press.

Messages will be moderated or deleted if they:
• Are considered likely to disrupt, provoke, attack or offend others
• Are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable
• Contain swear words or other language likely to offend
• Break the law or condone or encourage unlawful activity. This includes breach of copyright, defamation and contempt of court
• Advertise products or services for profit or gain
• Are seen to impersonate someone else
• Include contact details such as phone numbers, postal or email addresses
• Describe or encourage activities which could endanger the safety or well-being of others
• If you have a complaint about a comment please email [email protected]

 Back to the Top

Read Our Latest Print Edition »

Read More Olive Press Back Issues Online »