- OP Xtreme
- Business & Finance
- Crime & Law
- Food Drink
- News Features
- Insurance Doctor
- Jack Gaioni
- Legal Issues
- Loud and Clear
- Market Mumbles
- Mistress of Sizzle
- Property Insider
- Road to Riches
- Eating Out
- Andalucia Property Search
- Green Guide Spain
- SITE INFO
- Data Protection
Boat tragedy in Strait of Gibraltar
• Thousands try to reach Europe from Africa in boats every year
Do you have news for us?
Click to contact the newsdesk!
TWO people have died after a dinghy carrying illegal immigrants capsized in the Strait of Gibraltar.
Two others remain missing after the incident.
A maritime rescue spokesman said: “Spanish rescuers located three of the five migrants who were on board the dinghy, one of whom had died, about five nautical miles from Tangier, Morocco.
“The two survivors were suffering from severe hypothermia and were taken to Tarifa in southern Spain.”
Attempts by Africans to reach the Spanish coast on makeshift boats and illegally enter Europe happen frequently and have increased in the past few months.
Last October, at least 16 illegal migrants were found dead trying to reach Spain from Morocco.
Reader Comments »
The views expressed in the comments above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Olive Press.
Messages will be moderated or deleted if they:
• Are considered likely to disrupt, provoke, attack or offend others
• Are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable
• Contain swear words or other language likely to offend
• Break the law or condone or encourage unlawful activity. This includes breach of copyright, defamation and contempt of court
• Advertise products or services for profit or gain
• Are seen to impersonate someone else
• Include contact details such as phone numbers, postal or email addresses
• Describe or encourage activities which could endanger the safety or well-being of others
• If you have a complaint about a comment please email [email protected]