SERGIO Garcia’s ongoing rift with Tiger Woods has taken a turn for the worse, after the Spaniard made a jibe that could be interpreted as racist.
The 33-year-old joked that he would invite his rival round to dinner during the US Open to resolve their spat, and then added: “We will serve fried chicken.”
Woods took to twitter to respond to the offensive jibe, stating: “The comment that was made wasn’t silly. It was wrong, hurtful and clearly inappropriate.
“The Players ended nearly two weeks ago and it’s long past time to move on and talk about golf.
“I’m confident that there is real regret that the remark was made.”
The opponents have been embroiled in a public row since The Players Championship in the United States earlier this month, when the Spaniard accused Woods of gamesmanship.
The world number one Woods angered Garcia during the third round of the tournament by preparing for his own shot as his opponent was about to play an approach shot.
Garcia has since apologised for his remarks and insisted that they were not meant to be racist.
“I apologise for any offence that may have been caused by my comment on stage during The European Tour Players’ Awards dinner,” he said in a statement issued through the European Tour.
“I answered a question that was clearly made towards me as a joke with a silly remark, but in no way was the comment meant in a racist manner.”
- EXCLUSIVE: Family found dead in Mijas were killed ‘up to two days apart’ - 27 Jun, 2013 @ 23:13
- Costa del Sol journalist faces new sex charges - 26 Jun, 2013 @ 11:00
- Messi in tax mess - 26 Jun, 2013 @ 09:00
- Millions of moths descend on Madrid - 25 Jun, 2013 @ 09:30
- Newborn baby rescued from drain in Alicante - 24 Jun, 2013 @ 13:59
- ‘Syria jihadist suspects’ arrested in Ceuta - 21 Jun, 2013 @ 10:32
- Spanish economy making ‘strong progress’ - 20 Jun, 2013 @ 13:15
- VIDEO: Man tackles runaway bull on Malaga street - 19 Jun, 2013 @ 11:57
- Austerity measures putting Spaniards’ lives at risk - 18 Jun, 2013 @ 11:46
- Rabies returns to Spain - 17 Jun, 2013 @ 14:02