- OP Xtreme
- Business & Finance
- Crime & Law
- Food Drink
- News Features
- Property Insider
- Legal Issues
- Mistress of Sizzle
- Loud and Clear
- Eating Out
- Andalucia Property Search
- Green Guide Spain
Flying high as couple win big against Monarch
Do you have news for us?
Click to contact the newsdesk!
A BRITISH couple who waited 26 hours for a delayed flight from Mallorca have won a landmark case against one of Britain’s largest airlines.
Kim Brittain, 61, and his wife Sue, 55, sued Monarch after 200 tourists were stranded at Palma de Mallorca Airport.
Their victory is one of the first of its kind in the British courts and could open the floodgates for thousands of other cases.
It comes after the European Court of Justice declared that airlines must pay compensation for delays caused by their own failures, such as technical faults and staff problems.
A judge at Worcester County Court awarded them their full compensation claim of €504, plus legal costs.
The ruling follows a judgement last October in which the European courts found passengers should be entitled to compensation of up to €560, plus expenses, for delays longer than three hours.
Reader Comments »
The views expressed in the comments above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Olive Press.
Messages will be moderated or deleted if they:
• Are considered likely to disrupt, provoke, attack or offend others
• Are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable
• Contain swear words or other language likely to offend
• Break the law or condone or encourage unlawful activity. This includes breach of copyright, defamation and contempt of court
• Advertise products or services for profit or gain
• Are seen to impersonate someone else
• Include contact details such as phone numbers, postal or email addresses
• Describe or encourage activities which could endanger the safety or well-being of others
• If you have a complaint about a comment please email [email protected]