MARBELLA is notorious for its weighty price tags.
But cash-strapped families in the town can actually shop for cheaper than anywhere else in Europe, as it turns out.
A price comparison of Aldi supermarkets across the UK, Spain, France and Germany revealed that the Spanish one in Marbella is the cheapest – and Brits are paying nearly double.
Groceries representing a small weekly shop – including grapes, milk, chicken and wine – came to just €28.84 in Spain.
In Berlin the basket cost €29.16, in Paris it came to €33.23, but in a London store it came to €56.03 (£44.92).
European shoppers also get considerably better deals on alcohol than their British counterparts, including wines, beers and spirits.
While Spanish shoppers pay just €1.48 (£1.19) pounds for six bottles of 330ml beer, in England the same product will set you back €4.98 (£3.99).
Tony Baines, joint managing director of corporate buying at Aldi, said: “The difference in grocery prices is not specific to Aldi.
“We offer our customers the best quality product at the most competitive price. Shoppers know we offer the best value in the UK and won’t be beaten.”
The Olive Press did its very own consumer feature on price comparisons of food and vegetables.
We discovered there are a number of extremely popular everyday goods on which discerning expats can save themselves more than a few bob.
Fans of fruit will be thrilled to find it is much cheaper to reach the ‘five a day’ here in Spain.
A kilo of red grapes, for example, costs €2.80 here, while exactly the same amount costs €5.40 in the UK.
In fact, almost all fruit and veg worked out cheaper in Spain, apart from, oddly, carrots, which cost €1.25 per kilo compared to just 85c in a UK grocer.
The Olive Press also found that – when converted to euros – cost €1.64 in the UK compared to just 95c in Spain.
Ronda artist Gabriella Chidgey, who runs a household of four, said: “Fruit and vegetables are definitely cheaper here and they are of a higher quality.
“However, I have found it much more difficult to get hold of free range chickens here.”
- Travelling to Spain? Don’t forget about online safety - 17 Jan, 2019 @ 14:56
- The gambling industry: Spain’s only economic hope? - 17 Jan, 2019 @ 12:00
- BREXIT: Ryanair gets new license to operate in UK in event of no deal - 13 Jan, 2019 @ 13:00
- ENTIRE village in Spain on Gwyneth Paltrow’s Christmas wish list snapped up by EXPATS for just €150k - 13 Jan, 2019 @ 10:00
- Flu EPIDEMIC to rock Andalucia next week as illness spreads through Spain - 11 Jan, 2019 @ 14:57
- Tunf Separates the Good Casino Bonuses From the Bad - 10 Jan, 2019 @ 10:44
- Children receive the Magi in the Sierra Nevada - 6 Jan, 2019 @ 18:16
- MEASLES breakouts on rise in Spain and Europe as fewer get vaccinated - 5 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00
- Can Real Madrid still win the La Liga – Champions League double - 2 Jan, 2019 @ 10:06
- Rio Sport is at the very peak of ski technology in the Sierra Nevada - 1 Jan, 2019 @ 13:36