A SPANISH bar hopes to put itself on the map with a record for more types of gin than any other bar in the world.
Gin is widely known to be back with a vengeance, and The The Lemon Society bar in Palencia is taking full advantage and dramatically changing the template of the traditional G&T.
With an incredible 475 brands of gin – including 40 from Spain – and 57 tonics, the barmen can create more than 27,000 distinct combinations.
Owner Javier San Segundo insists they have gins even for people that don’t like gin, and the Economics graduate now has his sights set on the Guinness Book of Records.
“At first I wanted to specialise in four rare gins that nobody else had, but then we caught the bug and we haven’t been able to stop since,” said San Segundo, who launched the bar four years ago.
“Our gins have set us apart. Now, hopefully, the Guinness Book of Records will give us the chance to build an international presence, and with us, Palencia.”
Grapefruit, orange peel, liquorice, ginger and almonds are among the least conventional flavours of the range, but the real prize is a Dutch gin called Zuidam.
The highly-exclusive drink spends a minimum of 20 years in the barrel and at €35 a glass is the most expensive in the bar.
- Police uncover 36 Egyptian artefacts in Valencia - 1 Feb, 2015 @ 12:00
- Zara boss buys iconic building on Madrid’s Gran Via - 1 Feb, 2015 @ 11:00
- Huge sports complex to open in Sabinillas - 1 Feb, 2015 @ 08:00
- Expat searches for ‘perfect home’ for Costa del Sol turtle - 31 Jan, 2015 @ 11:00
- ‘Tolkien universe’ theme park to open in Rincon de la Victoria - 30 Jan, 2015 @ 17:24
- IMF raises Spain’s growth forecast saying it has entered a ‘virtous circle’ - 30 Jan, 2015 @ 08:00
- Organic success in Marbella - 30 Jan, 2015 @ 08:00
- European Central Bank to buy 10% of Spain’s public debt - 29 Jan, 2015 @ 18:09
- WikiLeaks threaten legal action after Google hand over journalist email data to US government - 28 Jan, 2015 @ 13:47
- Swans talent show stuns audience - 28 Jan, 2015 @ 08:00