SPANISH authorities say they are closing in on a hit-and-run driver who killed a Scottish grandfather near Alicante on Sunday.
The white Land Rover Discovery has been identified as being registered to a UK company and is currently being forensically examined.
Fingerprints from inside the vehicle have already been gathered which authorities say will enable them to identify those who had been inside.
The car hit Robert Sneddon, 61, as he was walking along a main road in the Guardarmar del Segura in Costa Blanca, just after 10.30pm.
He died shortly afterwards.
The local police are now working with Interpol and the British police in a bid to find anyone who may be connected to the incident.
Government delegate Juan Carlos Moragues, however, said the investigation has been hampered by the UK’s reluctance to join the European-wide automatic sharing of vehicle and driver information.
He feels this has ‘delayed’ progress in the case.
- HAPPY RETURN: How British expats in Spain can plan for retirement back in Britain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 17:44
- SCAM ALERT: Pensioners claim British conwoman tried to coax them from bus stop into ‘fake shuttle’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 16:22
- WATCH: Terrifying moment HUGE spitting COBRA acosts workers at port in southern Spain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 14:54
- WATCH: Vile video shows SEWAGE flowing onto popular beach in southern Spain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 13:47
- Little Julen and family pictured amid reports rescuers have found DNA - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:38
- Police in Spain rescue young man attempting to jump off Ronda bridge - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:15
- Police confirm little Julen IS inside the Malaga well after DNA found on fourth day of search - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 12:59
- ‘He loves his tricycle’: Neighbours describe ‘friendly’ toddler Julen and his family’s history of heartbreak as search for tot in Malaga well continues - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 19:35
- Drilling expert claims it’s ‘almost impossible’ for little Julen to have fallen down Malaga well as builder claims he sealed up hole just WEEKS ago - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 18:15
- HEART-WRENCHING: Parents of trapped boy have slept next to Malaga well since Sunday and are ‘dead inside’ as rescue attempt enters THIRD day - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 14:22