SPANISH authorities say they are closing in on a hit-and-run driver who killed a Scottish grandfather near Alicante on Sunday.
The white Land Rover Discovery has been identified as being registered to a UK company and is currently being forensically examined.
Fingerprints from inside the vehicle have already been gathered which authorities say will enable them to identify those who had been inside.
The car hit Robert Sneddon, 61, as he was walking along a main road in the Guardarmar del Segura in Costa Blanca, just after 10.30pm.
He died shortly afterwards.
The local police are now working with Interpol and the British police in a bid to find anyone who may be connected to the incident.
Government delegate Juan Carlos Moragues, however, said the investigation has been hampered by the UK’s reluctance to join the European-wide automatic sharing of vehicle and driver information.
He feels this has ‘delayed’ progress in the case.
- REVEALED: Which Andalucian province saw a 56% boom in property sales while Costa del Sol, Alicante and Balearics suffered DROPS - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 09:03
- BREAKING: British and Spanish children ‘almost die’ after dangerous game ends in FIREBALL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 21:14
- British expat robbed twice in same Costa del Sol supermarket in just 10 days loses ‘priceless’ personal mementos from dead daughter - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 08:51
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- BREAKING: Police arrest jihadist planning ‘massacre’ at Semana Santa parade in Spain’s Andalucia - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:52
- PREDATOR drones from US to patrol Strait of Gibraltar and Cadiz coast as Spain’s Guardia Civil fear surge in drug and people smuggling this summer - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 13:52
- Marbella’s iconic Villa Padierna hotel which hosted Michelle Obama changing hands - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:40