TRIBUTES have been paid to a world famous musician in his hometown.
Velez-Malaga declared a day of mourning following the death of pianist and composer José Luis Conde Lobato, popularly known as Pepe Luis Conde.
A shrine has also been erected in memory of Conde, 75, in the town’s Teatro del Carmen, where he first performed aged six.
That was where he began a career that saw him tour extensively throughout Europe and America and perform with the likes of the Ballet Nacional Español de Cuba.
All scheduled performances at the venue and at the Palacio de Beniel were cancelled for the day out of respect to Conde, who had been suffering from an illness.
His death came one month after the town hall presented him with a golden shield to thank him for helping to raise the profile of the area through his work.
“Today we lost a great artist, a great friend and a great person. Rest in Peace. Velez will not forget you”, said Antonio Moreno Ferrer, mayor of Velez-Malaga.
- Behind the green door: Discover Andalucia’s eco village of Los Molinos del Rio Agua - 10 Jun, 2017 @ 10:51
- TAKING THE P***: Campaign launched to move Cordoba mosque toilets because they face Mecca - 8 Jun, 2017 @ 13:01
- Groundbreaking eco Lego style plastic house factory to open in Malaga - 4 Jun, 2017 @ 11:55
- Spain has 10 of the 20 European universities most in demand by Erasmus students - 3 Jun, 2017 @ 10:45
- Malaga Council accused of falsifying hospital statistics - 30 May, 2017 @ 17:50
- Dolphins caught stealing from fishermen - 30 May, 2017 @ 16:49
- UK ELECTION: Olive Press voting guide for British expats - 28 May, 2017 @ 11:46
- Who was George Campbell, one of Andalucia’s best-loved Irish artists? - 28 May, 2017 @ 09:30
- The extraordinary life of Alexander Fleming’s granddaughter as an artist in Andalucia - 27 May, 2017 @ 09:16
- Junta commit to green energy in Andalucia - 26 May, 2017 @ 16:09