THE Caminito del Rey, one of Andalucia’s most adrenaline-pumping attractions, is set for a €1 million upgrade.
Bosses of the cliff-hugging walkway have pushed forward improvement works in time for this summer’s rush. They had initially been planned to take place over the next two years.
As well as constructing a visitor reception centre and car park, extra work will be undertaken on the walkway, entrance huts and toilets.
The whole path will be trimmed and cleared in order to improve fire safety and make a more positive impact on the local environment.
Construction on the visitor centre will begin on February 16.
The Caminito will continue to close on Mondays for maintenance work, although the management is considering extending opening hours by an hour each day, and opening on feast days which fall on a Monday.
The ‘little king’s walkway’ near El Chorro is one of the most popular tourist destinations in Andalucia, with around 1,000 visitors a day.
It was closed for over a decade after falling into disrepair but reopened in 2015.
- REVEALED: What’s really behind the surge in ‘narco terrorism’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol as record €100 million cash and 40 tonnes of drugs seized - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 15:36
- COLD FRONT: Yellow weather warning for strong winds in Malaga TOMORROW while snow predicted across Spain - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 12:30
- PEED OFF: Dog walkers on Costa del Sol to be FINED for not cleaning up pet’s urine in new crackdown - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 11:55
- WARNING: Police in Spain ramping up roadside alcohol and drug checkpoints THIS WEEK - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 18:02
- WATCH: Truck DESTROYS archway entry of urbanisation on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 16:23
- SHAMEFUL: Spain loses €90 BILLION per year due to corruption while UK among LEAST corrupt in EU, study reveals - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 14:59
- Leading Irish Kinahan mafia member falls to death from Marbella hotel in ‘accident’ - 9 Dec, 2018 @ 16:08
- Spain’s Mallorca must ‘turn away from British market’ to survive no-deal Brexit, business leaders warn - 7 Dec, 2018 @ 13:40
- Bullfighting ‘returning to Marbella’ despite being BANNED three years ago - 6 Dec, 2018 @ 17:25
- Rise of the right in Spain’s Andalucia could make life for British expats more difficult, expert warns - 3 Dec, 2018 @ 16:16