Roberto Centeno, who was an advisor to US president Donald Trump’s election team on hispanic issues, says Spain has borrowed €603 billion that it ‘cannot conceivably pay back’.
In a blog post he said: “Spain is moving steadily towards the suspension of payments which is the result of out of control public waste, financed with the largest debt bubble in our history, supported by the European Central Bank with its crazy policy of zero interest rate expansion and without any supervision.
“It will lead to the ruin of several generations of Spaniards over the next 50 years.”
He went on to describe Spain’s production model as ‘third world’.
“We have a third world production model of speculators and waiters, with a labour market where the majority of jobs created are temporary and with remunerations of 600 euros, the largest wage decline in living memory.
“And all this was completed with a broken pension system and an insolvent financial system.”
The rant comes after Spain saw 13 consecutive quarters of growth in February, which was much stronger than that of its neighbours.
The economy has also defied expectations after GDP growth for 2016 reached 3.2%, the same as in 2015.
- Little Julen and family pictured amid reports rescuers have found DNA - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:38
- Police in Spain rescue young man attempting to jump off Ronda bridge - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:15
- Police confirm little Julen IS inside the Malaga well after DNA found on fourth day of search - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 12:59
- ‘He loves his tricycle’: Neighbours describe ‘friendly’ toddler Julen and his family’s history of heartbreak as search for tot in Malaga well continues - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 19:35
- Drilling expert claims it’s ‘almost impossible’ for little Julen to have fallen down Malaga well as builder claims he sealed up hole just WEEKS ago - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 18:15
- HEART-WRENCHING: Parents of trapped boy have slept next to Malaga well since Sunday and are ‘dead inside’ as rescue attempt enters THIRD day - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 14:22
- WATCH: ISIS terrorist cuffed in popular British expat hotspot on Spain’s Costa del Sol was ‘ready to attack’ after taking deadly oath - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 13:15
- British expats in Spain should get Spanish driving licences ASAP, UK government Brexit memo warns - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 11:50
- Fears grow for boy, 2, trapped down Malaga well for over 18 hours as desperate rescue attempt continues - 14 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00
- WATCH: Two fuming drivers stop cars to BRAWL among traffic on Marbella’s Golden Mile - 11 Jan, 2019 @ 17:15