Peers voted overwhelmingly last night to amend the Article 50 Bill to force the government to guarantee the rights of EU citizens living in the UK.
But May has now insisted that her timetable for divorcing the EU ‘remains unchanged’.
Lords who voted in favour of the amendment were accused of ‘playing with fire’, ‘pointless posturing’ and of ‘doing a disservice to the national interest’.
While rumours circulated that May could face a fresh Tory rebellion following the heavy 358 – 256 ‘defeat’, Conservative whips are confident that no more than a handful of Tory MPs will support the amendment.
Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn described the Lords’ vote as ‘great news’, raising hopes that he might instruct his MPs to back the amendment in the Commons.
“The Government must now do the decent thing and guarantee the rights of EU citizens living in the UK,” he said.
The amended Bill will return to the House of Commons on March 13 and March 14, when MPs will debate whether to keep the changes.
Former Tory leader Iain Duncan Smith said of the vote: “It is a bit of posturing by some people in the Lords who are beating their chests and puffing out their own sense of self-importance.
“My answer to that is ‘jolly good, nice to hear from you, but it has no bearing on Theresa May’s Article 50 negotiations’. It speaks volumes about who some of these people in the Lords think they are and absolutely nothing about Brexit.”
- REVEALED: What’s really behind the surge in ‘narco terrorism’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol as record €100 million cash and 40 tonnes of drugs seized - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 15:36
- COLD FRONT: Yellow weather warning for strong winds in Malaga TOMORROW while snow predicted across Spain - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 12:30
- PEED OFF: Dog walkers on Costa del Sol to be FINED for not cleaning up pet’s urine in new crackdown - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 11:55
- WARNING: Police in Spain ramping up roadside alcohol and drug checkpoints THIS WEEK - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 18:02
- WATCH: Truck DESTROYS archway entry of urbanisation on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 16:23
- SHAMEFUL: Spain loses €90 BILLION per year due to corruption while UK among LEAST corrupt in EU, study reveals - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 14:59
- Leading Irish Kinahan mafia member falls to death from Marbella hotel in ‘accident’ - 9 Dec, 2018 @ 16:08
- Spain’s Mallorca must ‘turn away from British market’ to survive no-deal Brexit, business leaders warn - 7 Dec, 2018 @ 13:40
- Bullfighting ‘returning to Marbella’ despite being BANNED three years ago - 6 Dec, 2018 @ 17:25
- Rise of the right in Spain’s Andalucia could make life for British expats more difficult, expert warns - 3 Dec, 2018 @ 16:16