PASSENGERS have complained of ‘nightmare’ queues at passport control in Malaga airport.
Beginning on Sunday, flyers have had to form ‘crazy’ long queues just to have their documents checked.
“Passport control is crazy at Malaga today,” one told the Olive Press, “There are queues all the way back to the Burger King.
“Some people have missed their flights!”
It comes after last month’s amendement to the Schengen Border Code, which means border officers must now check the documents of all travellers against several databases including the Schengen Information System, Interpol and registers of wanted persons.
If you’re flying within the Schengen zone you will not be subject to extra checks.
The regulation is a response to ‘the increase of terrorist threats’, according to the European Council.
Europol says an estimated 5,000 EU citizens travelled to conflict zones like Iraq and Syria between 2013 and 2015 before joining terrorist groups like ISIS.
Back in Europe, some then became involved in terrorist attacks.
The Belgian federal police warned that the reinforced security measures could cause delays and advised travelers to prepare and come early to the checkpoints.
The Schengen zone comprises of 26 countries and is part of the EU’s commitment to free movement.
The UK is not part of the zone, which allows travellers to cross borders without standardized checks.
- REVEALED: What’s really behind the surge in ‘narco terrorism’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol as record €100 million cash and 40 tonnes of drugs seized - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 15:36
- COLD FRONT: Yellow weather warning for strong winds in Malaga TOMORROW while snow predicted across Spain - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 12:30
- PEED OFF: Dog walkers on Costa del Sol to be FINED for not cleaning up pet’s urine in new crackdown - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 11:55
- WARNING: Police in Spain ramping up roadside alcohol and drug checkpoints THIS WEEK - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 18:02
- WATCH: Truck DESTROYS archway entry of urbanisation on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 16:23
- SHAMEFUL: Spain loses €90 BILLION per year due to corruption while UK among LEAST corrupt in EU, study reveals - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 14:59
- Leading Irish Kinahan mafia member falls to death from Marbella hotel in ‘accident’ - 9 Dec, 2018 @ 16:08
- Spain’s Mallorca must ‘turn away from British market’ to survive no-deal Brexit, business leaders warn - 7 Dec, 2018 @ 13:40
- Bullfighting ‘returning to Marbella’ despite being BANNED three years ago - 6 Dec, 2018 @ 17:25
- Rise of the right in Spain’s Andalucia could make life for British expats more difficult, expert warns - 3 Dec, 2018 @ 16:16