PASSENGERS have complained of ‘nightmare’ queues at passport control in Malaga airport.
Beginning on Sunday, flyers have had to form ‘crazy’ long queues just to have their documents checked.
“Passport control is crazy at Malaga today,” one told the Olive Press, “There are queues all the way back to the Burger King.
“Some people have missed their flights!”
It comes after last month’s amendement to the Schengen Border Code, which means border officers must now check the documents of all travellers against several databases including the Schengen Information System, Interpol and registers of wanted persons.
If you’re flying within the Schengen zone you will not be subject to extra checks.
The regulation is a response to ‘the increase of terrorist threats’, according to the European Council.
Europol says an estimated 5,000 EU citizens travelled to conflict zones like Iraq and Syria between 2013 and 2015 before joining terrorist groups like ISIS.
Back in Europe, some then became involved in terrorist attacks.
The Belgian federal police warned that the reinforced security measures could cause delays and advised travelers to prepare and come early to the checkpoints.
The Schengen zone comprises of 26 countries and is part of the EU’s commitment to free movement.
The UK is not part of the zone, which allows travellers to cross borders without standardized checks.
- TRAGIC APPEAL: British expat dad ‘drops dead’ at 39 leaving fiance and two children in desperate need on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:49
- P**S TAKER: You can now pee in Donald Trump’s mouth thanks to expat bar owner in Spain - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:17
- Irish dog walker stumbles upon dead dolphin washed up on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 13:33
- BREAKING: British airline goes into administration with ALL flights to Europe cancelled, cites Brexit as major factor - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 20:10
- WATCH: New Marbella Arena to host string of ‘international artists’ and events this summer after signing deal with global events company - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 15:06
- ‘ABSOLUTE CHAOS’: Ryanair flight from Glasgow to Malaga diverted after violent ‘hen party brawl’ - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:37
- War to be waged against plastic in Gibraltar following deaths of ‘magnificent’ birds - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 11:18
- CASTING CALL: US Netflix series to film in Malaga and Marbella and needs extras THIS WEEKEND - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 14:38
- Neanderthal FOOTPRINT found in Gibraltar by crack team of British and Spanish scientists - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 14:08
- Elderly couple discover multiple sets of human remains in newly bought home on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 13:27