PASSENGERS have complained of ‘nightmare’ queues at passport control in Malaga airport.
Beginning on Sunday, flyers have had to form ‘crazy’ long queues just to have their documents checked.
“Passport control is crazy at Malaga today,” one told the Olive Press, “There are queues all the way back to the Burger King.
“Some people have missed their flights!”
It comes after last month’s amendement to the Schengen Border Code, which means border officers must now check the documents of all travellers against several databases including the Schengen Information System, Interpol and registers of wanted persons.
If you’re flying within the Schengen zone you will not be subject to extra checks.
The regulation is a response to ‘the increase of terrorist threats’, according to the European Council.
Europol says an estimated 5,000 EU citizens travelled to conflict zones like Iraq and Syria between 2013 and 2015 before joining terrorist groups like ISIS.
Back in Europe, some then became involved in terrorist attacks.
The Belgian federal police warned that the reinforced security measures could cause delays and advised travelers to prepare and come early to the checkpoints.
The Schengen zone comprises of 26 countries and is part of the EU’s commitment to free movement.
The UK is not part of the zone, which allows travellers to cross borders without standardized checks.
- IN PICS: ‘One million’ march against Brexit in London - 23 Mar, 2019 @ 20:14
- ‘DRUG HILLS’: British expats in upmarket urbanisation on Spain’s Costa del Sol wake up to ‘disgraceful’ graffiti - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:47
- Westley Capper arrives at Malaga court on last day of Agnese Klavina trial after damning CCTV footage shown to court - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:20
- Dead body dumped on Spain’s Costa del Sol was of young foreigner, 23, and had at least 10 gunshot wounds - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 10:59
- Guardia Civil cop who killed three people after causing pile up on Costa del Sol while driving on cocaine ordered to pay €1.4 million in compensation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:52
- SACRE BLOW! French smuggling gang which moved cocaine and hashish between Morocco, Malaga and Europe busted in joint operation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:12
- Residents feel shaking as FOUR earthquakes rock Malaga - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:33
- Rain and cold wind forecast for Spain’s Malaga this week - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:16
- WATCH: Manhunt launched after pharmacy robbed at GUNPOINT on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:45
- Dead body found dumped with ‘several gunshot wounds’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:31