SOLAR power will be the most dominant form of energy in Spain by 2030.
That’s according to a report by the country’s Industry Ministry, which has predicted savings of around €9.6 billion on the current trajectory of renewable energy growth.
The move to solar will also cut CO2 emissions by more than half while extra revenue will come from selling energy to France.
The most optimistic figures predict solar will reach a power production capacity of 47.1 TWh by 2030, becoming Spain’s biggest energy resource, followed by wind (31 TWh), cycle plants (24.5 TWh), hydropower (23 TWh) and nuclear power (7.1 TWh).
It means renewable energy would supply 70% of the country’s electricity.
Even in the most conservative of forcasts, solar will still be the biggest and cheapest power source in Spain by 2030, having 40 TWh power production capacity.
Renewable energy sources would still represent 67% of the country’s electricity.
It comes after a plunge in the price of solar panels and lower construction costs brought investors back to the Spanish solar market.
Iberdrola, Spain’s largest power company, launched a solar project in March with a capacity of 425 megawatts.
Just a few weeks ago, Spanish renewable energy firm Cox Energy signed a deal for the construction of 495 megawatts of capacity in Spain, and another 165 megawatts in neighbouring Portugal, in a €400 million investment.
- BREXIT: Ryanair gets new license to operate in UK in event of no deal - 13 Jan, 2019 @ 13:00
- ENTIRE village in Spain on Gwyneth Paltrow’s Christmas wish list snapped up by EXPATS for just €150k - 13 Jan, 2019 @ 10:00
- Flu EPIDEMIC to rock Andalucia next week as illness spreads through Spain - 11 Jan, 2019 @ 14:57
- Tunf Separates the Good Casino Bonuses From the Bad - 10 Jan, 2019 @ 10:44
- Children receive the Magi in the Sierra Nevada - 6 Jan, 2019 @ 18:16
- MEASLES breakouts on rise in Spain and Europe as fewer get vaccinated - 5 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00
- Can Real Madrid still win the La Liga – Champions League double - 2 Jan, 2019 @ 10:06
- Rio Sport is at the very peak of ski technology in the Sierra Nevada - 1 Jan, 2019 @ 13:36
- Learn the slopes with Sierra Nevada’s dedicated English ski school - 31 Dec, 2018 @ 13:33
- Two Andalucia villages make it onto list of Spain’s seven rural wonders - 30 Dec, 2018 @ 16:00