SOLAR power will be the most dominant form of energy in Spain by 2030.
That’s according to a report by the country’s Industry Ministry, which has predicted savings of around €9.6 billion on the current trajectory of renewable energy growth.
The move to solar will also cut CO2 emissions by more than half while extra revenue will come from selling energy to France.
The most optimistic figures predict solar will reach a power production capacity of 47.1 TWh by 2030, becoming Spain’s biggest energy resource, followed by wind (31 TWh), cycle plants (24.5 TWh), hydropower (23 TWh) and nuclear power (7.1 TWh).
It means renewable energy would supply 70% of the country’s electricity.
Even in the most conservative of forcasts, solar will still be the biggest and cheapest power source in Spain by 2030, having 40 TWh power production capacity.
Renewable energy sources would still represent 67% of the country’s electricity.
It comes after a plunge in the price of solar panels and lower construction costs brought investors back to the Spanish solar market.
Iberdrola, Spain’s largest power company, launched a solar project in March with a capacity of 425 megawatts.
Just a few weeks ago, Spanish renewable energy firm Cox Energy signed a deal for the construction of 495 megawatts of capacity in Spain, and another 165 megawatts in neighbouring Portugal, in a €400 million investment.
- Stunning Sarmiento offers a lot more than the best view on the Costa del Sol - 20 Feb, 2019 @ 16:05
- Historic building awards from the Gibraltar Heritage Trust - 20 Feb, 2019 @ 11:16
- Caught live: Massive winner from UK’s most relevant band of the last few decades - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 20:42
- 11 new villages make it onto Spain’s ‘most beautiful’ list - 17 Feb, 2019 @ 12:40
- FAB FRESCOS: Spain has some of the best, but how many do you recognise? - 17 Feb, 2019 @ 10:51
- Maldonado’s Mijas is like nowhere else says Bill Anderson as just five are running the town council - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 13:00
- Benabola Hotel in Marbella gets a revamped roof terrace ready for the summer season - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 11:00
- EXPANSION: Pole position as long-running expat agent opens fifth office in central Marbella - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:31
- Using Cryptocurrency as a Major Mode of Payment - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 07:58
- WATCH: Dramatic six-car pile-up blocks Marbella tunnel as Guardia Civil on scene - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 18:58