As first revealed by an Olive Press investigation five years ago, the non-profit refuge, in Torremolinos, was used as a way to generate cash for boss Carmen Marin and her family.
While Marin is now in prison for animal cruelty and falsifying documents – thousand of animals died painful deaths without the correct amounts of drugs – as the inquiry moves onto her two children, her son-in-law and her assistant at the shelter.
It is alleged Marin’s assistant spent more than €14,000 on a car, while her daughter spent €104,000 on a total refit of her cosmetic clinic is Los Alamos.
Marin went on shopping sprees and used money obtained from killing the animals to rent cars, pay for gym memberships, driving lessons and stays at luxury hotels in Marbella, Lisbon, Marrakech and the US.
- Spain accused of breaching maritime laws after shadowing British nuclear submarine as it left Gibraltar on secret mission - 17 Dec, 2018 @ 12:57
- Spain and UK to push through reciprocal deal for expat voting rights before Brexit - 17 Dec, 2018 @ 12:36
- REVEALED: What’s really behind the surge in ‘narco terrorism’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol as record €100 million cash and 40 tonnes of drugs seized - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 15:36
- COLD FRONT: Yellow weather warning for strong winds in Malaga TOMORROW while snow predicted across Spain - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 12:30
- PEED OFF: Dog walkers on Costa del Sol to be FINED for not cleaning up pet’s urine in new crackdown - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 11:55
- WARNING: Police in Spain ramping up roadside alcohol and drug checkpoints THIS WEEK - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 18:02
- WATCH: Truck DESTROYS archway entry of urbanisation on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 16:23
- SHAMEFUL: Spain loses €90 BILLION per year due to corruption while UK among LEAST corrupt in EU, study reveals - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 14:59
- Leading Irish Kinahan mafia member falls to death from Marbella hotel in ‘accident’ - 9 Dec, 2018 @ 16:08
- Spain’s Mallorca must ‘turn away from British market’ to survive no-deal Brexit, business leaders warn - 7 Dec, 2018 @ 13:40