CONTROVERSIAL plans to build an airport in Antequera are gathering pace after an evaluation report revealed it could generate 810million euros in its first ten years.
The study by ACI Europe also claims that over six million travellers a year could be using the airport within ten years.
And for every million passengers, it claims 2000 jobs will be created.
The report has proposed five possible locations, with the favourite being in an area known as Los Llanos, north of the A-92, 11 kms from Antequera.
The plan is being staunchly opposed by both the IU party, Ecologistas en Accion, local pressure group Antequera Habitable and various local towns.
Humilladero has already voted against the scheme, while the villages of Bobadilla and Bobadilla Estacion have also opposed it.
Each town has been asked to submit views and potential impact to the Environment Ministry.
Construction group behind the scheme, Vera, predicts it could be ready by 2012.
Antequera is only 30 minutes from Malaga and will be just 20 minutes when the new Las Pedrizas toll motorway is finished.
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00
- Moorish makeover for relaunch of Andalucian teahouse on Costa de la Luz - 17 Mar, 2018 @ 14:00