CONTROVERSIAL plans to build an airport in Antequera are gathering pace after an evaluation report revealed it could generate 810million euros in its first ten years.
The study by ACI Europe also claims that over six million travellers a year could be using the airport within ten years.
And for every million passengers, it claims 2000 jobs will be created.
The report has proposed five possible locations, with the favourite being in an area known as Los Llanos, north of the A-92, 11 kms from Antequera.
The plan is being staunchly opposed by both the IU party, Ecologistas en Accion, local pressure group Antequera Habitable and various local towns.
Humilladero has already voted against the scheme, while the villages of Bobadilla and Bobadilla Estacion have also opposed it.
Each town has been asked to submit views and potential impact to the Environment Ministry.
Construction group behind the scheme, Vera, predicts it could be ready by 2012.
Antequera is only 30 minutes from Malaga and will be just 20 minutes when the new Las Pedrizas toll motorway is finished.
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00