BEACH-GOERS hoping for a break from health and safety regulations are being advised to think again.
Numerous Spanish authorities are starting to introduce new bylaws or are enforcing rulings previously ignored.
The clampdown includes curbing activities such as playing loud music, drinking alcohol… and even having sex.
Benidorm, for example, has ruled that anyone caught having sex on the beach will be fined 750 euros.
The celebrated eastern Spanish resort has also decided to close its beach between the hours of midnight and 7am to prevent any late night partying.
But it is not just at night. Beach-goers face similar problems during the day, with anyone playing sport outside the specified zone, bringing pets to the beach, drinking alcohol or erecting a sunshade at improper times could now face fines of up to 300 euros.
It is claimed that these draconian measures are an attempt by the council to clean up the resort’s reputation, erasing its reputation for liberal pursuits.
“Benidorm, for example, has ruled that anyone caught having sex on the beach will be fined 750 euros.”
They are not alone. Other coastal resorts announcing plans for tougher regulation include Salobrena and Almunecar, in Granada, Valencia and Tossa de Mar.
In one resort, L´Escala, on the Costa Brava, police will step in if holidaymakers light up cigarettes.
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00