WHILE the recession continues to bite, shoppers are at least getting more for their money, according to new figures.
In a positive economic study, the cost of a typical grocery shop in Spain has fallen by 3.4 per cent between April and June.
The study by the Ministry of Industry, investigated the prices of 187 purchases across 35 of Spain’s biggest supermarkets.
Findings show the biggest falls with own-brand and discount items, with only a 0.8 per cent drop in named-brand goods.
Shoppers in Malaga have even more reason to celebrate, with a drop of 4.5 per cent making the province one of the cheapest in the country.
On the release of the findings, Spain’s Secretary of State for Commerce, Silvia Iranzo, indicated increased competition as a reason.
“Spain’s Secretary of State for Commerce, Silvia Iranzo, indicated increased competition as a reason.”
“The economic situation has driven all the grocery outlets to reduce the cost of food products,” he said.
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58