MADRID have fallen at the final hurdle in their bid to host the 2016 Olympic Games.
The Spanish capital lost out to Rio de Janeiro in a nail-biting finale that mirrored the heartbreak endured in 2005 after the city once again reached the final stages of voting for the 2012 games.
Hopes had been high after Tokyo and, surprisingly, Chicago were eliminated in the earlier stages, meaning it was a straight decider between Rio de Janeiro and Madrid.
However, Olympic President, Jacques Rogge sent thousands of Brazilians avidly watching the action unfold on Copacabana Beach into raptures with the decision.
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00