THE views of Lorca’s family have been overruled after it was confirmed that the mass grave believed to contain his remains will be dug up shortly.
Officials have confirmed that the exhumation will begin in two to three weeks time, despite the celebrated poet’s family asking for the grave to be left in peace.
Descendants of three other men buried in the mass grave containing Lorca want to give their loved ones a proper burial.
Andalucian Regional government spokesman, Francisco Espinola told the Associated Press that the goal is not to determine Lorca’s remains, but to identify the other three.
The government should not “adopt a partial, individualized solution, which, by praising the memory of some condemns others to oblivion.”
However, the poet’s family have insisted that he should not be singled out for preferential treatment while many other families are still in the dark regarding the final resting place of their loved ones.
In a statement released they said that the government should not “adopt a partial, individualized solution, which, by praising the memory of some condemns others to oblivion.”
They also added that they want the entire area declared a formal resting ground.
For the past two weeks technicians from Granada University have been measuring and analysing the terrain in preparation of opening the mass grave.
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00