THE views of Lorca’s family have been overruled after it was confirmed that the mass grave believed to contain his remains will be dug up shortly.
Officials have confirmed that the exhumation will begin in two to three weeks time, despite the celebrated poet’s family asking for the grave to be left in peace.
Descendants of three other men buried in the mass grave containing Lorca want to give their loved ones a proper burial.
Andalucian Regional government spokesman, Francisco Espinola told the Associated Press that the goal is not to determine Lorca’s remains, but to identify the other three.
The government should not “adopt a partial, individualized solution, which, by praising the memory of some condemns others to oblivion.”
However, the poet’s family have insisted that he should not be singled out for preferential treatment while many other families are still in the dark regarding the final resting place of their loved ones.
In a statement released they said that the government should not “adopt a partial, individualized solution, which, by praising the memory of some condemns others to oblivion.”
They also added that they want the entire area declared a formal resting ground.
For the past two weeks technicians from Granada University have been measuring and analysing the terrain in preparation of opening the mass grave.
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00
- Moorish makeover for relaunch of Andalucian teahouse on Costa de la Luz - 17 Mar, 2018 @ 14:00