IT is an uncanny likeness that has been commented on for years.
Now, an unidentified hacker has managed to hijack Spain’s official website for its presidency of the European Union, inserting a large, smiling picture of comic character Mr Bean in place of prime minister Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero.
Where the Spanish leader was meant to introduce himself, the face of Mr Bean had greeted visitors with a cheerful “Hi there!”.
The supposed resemblance of the bumbling slapstick character, played by British actor Rowan Atkinson, has been a running joke in Spain for years.
A recent edition of newspaper El Pais printed a cartoon depicting Mr Zapatero as Mr Bean above an article critical of the government’s handling of the economy, which has seen unemployment more than double to about 19 per cent over the last year.
An official at Mr Zapatero’s office confirmed a security breach had affected the page set up to mark Spain’s six-month presidency of the EU.
He said no information on the site had been affected.
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00